Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, September 14, 2014

My Ice Wine Education

Until last week, I went through life fully expressing my distaste for "sweet wine".  I was adamant that I did not like dessert wines of any varietal and that they were syrupy and coated my mouth with sugar and were just too sweet for my tastes. But, as I have discovered in just about every area of my life, the minute I take a hard stance and declare that," I don't like something",  I am quickly proven wrong . Or, at the least,  forced to question my belief system. This sweet wine belief system was challenged last week while I was in Canada. 



I went to Niagara Falls, the Canadian side. As a side note, let me just say, if you get an opportunity to go- you must!! It is truly one of the most powerful and yet peaceful natural wonders of the world. The pictures do not do it justice. Seriously, I could have stood and watched the Falls, for hours, completely content with myself and the world. They are majestic, the water is a turquoise color, that is out of this world, and to watch the mist rise from the Falls is mesmerizing!

However, what I didn't know about this area, being a California wine snob, was that it has a HUGE wine industry! I have to admit I went into this adventure a little cocky, and, I truly thought I would not be impressed with the wine, and yet again I was wrong. I fell in love with Wayne Gretzky's Reserve Chardonnay (on a side note) and I got to explore ice wine, which is what completely changed my perception of dessert wine. 


We were in a little town called Niagara on the Lake and we went to a winery called Trius.  Trius looks like a Napa winery with sprawling grounds, well manicured gardens and immaculate properties. They have been making wine for over 30 years, and they have a VQA rating, which in Ontario is a quality rating only given to wineries that basically make the region proud and meet the standards of wine making for that area. The VQA is also Ontario's Wine Authority, it has regulatory powers and it enforces winemaking and labeling standards.  It reminds me of the DOC stamp found on Italian wines. They have an Australian winemaker, Craig McDonald, who was named the Ontario Winemaker of the Year in 2008. 

So, as we are tasting their flight of red wines, which were also good, we start looking around the tasting room, and you can tell their holy grail is ice wine. We had talked earlier in the day about our mutual distaste for dessert wine. As we were finishing our first tasting,  I turned to my companion and asked him if he wanted to share an ice wine tasting. He looked at me in the way that only men can when they are humoring someone of the female gender and said,"sure." And the rest is history...our ice wine education started. 

So this is what I learned about ice wine:

   75% of ice wine is produced in Canada.
   The grapes are frozen on the vine and then harvested.
   They are pressed only once and each grape only produces a drop of wine. 
   The sugars do not freeze, but the water does which results in a sweeter more concentrated juice.
   Ice wine production is a risky business as it is completely in Mother Nature's hands.
   Because of the small yield, ice wine is generally at a higher price point.
   Legend has it that ice wine has been around since the Roman times, but it did not become popular until around 1794 when the Germans ,(the other large ice wine producer outside of Canada), started to make it.
   The grapes must become ripe on the vine and then must have a "hard freeze", which is under 17 degree. If the freeze does not come quickly enough the grapes may rot and the crop will be lost. If the freeze is too severe the juice is lost. 
   Ice wine grapes are normally harvested at night or very early in the morning and must be harvested within a few hours of the freeze.
   The fruit must be pressed while still frozen. 
   In Australia, Germany, US and Canada, the grapes must be frozen naturally to be called ice wine. 
   Since there is a high sugar level the fermentation process is slower and longer, months for ice wine compared to days or weeks for other varietals

We tried three different types of ice wine -Vidal, Riesling and Cab Franc. They are sweet but they are delicate. We were taught to taste not with the front of your tongue, but, with the back of your palette .That truly changed the flavor and the experience for me. They have a much lighter viscosity than other dessert wines I have tasted, there is truly nothing syrupy about the texture. They are light, but they also have a depth of flavors, and unlike port,  they are pure wine so there isn't that alcohol aftertaste.. It was like nothing I had ever tasted before. 


So I must say, I was wrong, and I am now an ice wine believer. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews