Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 18, 2019

Everything I Learned About Life I Learned Being a 911 Dispatcher


 
In my past life, I was a 911 Dispatcher. I spent nearly 20 years of my life answering the phone and listening to people in crisis. I worked a radio handling pursuits, shootings, structure fires, extrications, domestics, death and destruction. And I heard people take their last breaths, I gave CPR instructions to a mother trying to save her 6-month-old daughter, I heard screams, children crying, gunshots and tears. I heard my cops scream as they got ambushed, shot at, injured and scared. I heard my firefighters roll up on horrific traffic accidents involving their own family members, try to save lives, and fight for lives that were beyond saving.

As many of you know I wrote a memoir a few years back. I told my “war stories” and I talked about the times that I believed I made a difference, those calls that haunt me, those situations that I so desperately wanted to end with a happy ending, but life isn’t a Hollywood movie, and being a Dispatcher is messy and unfortunately not full of fairytale closure. I decided not to publish the book, it felt too personal and I felt like I was sharing stories of those that I didn’t know if they wanted shared. It is impossible to write about a career like this without talking about the people involved-the victims, the officers, the firefighters, the suspects, the spouses, the broken, the downtrodden and the witnesses…and at the end of the day they should get to choose whether or not they want to tell their stories. The stories I mention here are devoid of distinguishing details, are only my personal accounts and are kept vague on purpose.

I have been out of the profession nearly 4 years and I have to admit I miss it every day. Sure, I sleep better, sure the nightmares are less frequent, maybe I don’t replay those “what ifs” in my head like I use to. But I do miss feeling like I am making a difference, making sure my boys are going home safe to their families every night, that adrenalin rush you get from working a hot call, that comradery that comes with being a part of something so much bigger than yourself.

And it is so weird that people I meet now have no clue about the career I had that was once so much a part of my identity. I find that I don’t talk about it to people who didn’t know me back in the day, afraid that they won’t understand that part of me. It is too hard to explain that after being in public safety we all carry a certain level of pain, that we all have these emotions that we are afraid to feel because once the tears start they won’t be able to stop. But I can tell you I loved every second of being a 911 Dispatcher and damn that career taught me everything I know-the good, the bad, the beautiful, and the ugly.

Here is what I learned about life from being a 911 Dispatcher:

1.       Live like there’s no tomorrow. Life is not guaranteed. I started as a 911 Dispatcher when I was young, very young. I thought I was invincible, and I was naïve, full of life and innocence. I truly was the walking epitome of “ignorance is bliss.” The very first call I answered was a high school classmate being shot in a drive by shooting. And I learned quickly I was wrong.  So I repeat life is not guaranteed.

2.       We are put into peoples lives for a reason. Sometimes those reasons are amazingly joyous, like the time I got to give a wife CPR instructions, to her husband of 30 years.  She was able to save him after he collapsed from a heart attack. And sometimes they are only to hear someone’s last words, sobs and apologies before they make a choice to take their own life, the last thing you hear being a gun shot and the phone dropping to the floor of the car. Both situations very different, but I was there to witness what those individuals wanted and needed in those difficult moments.

3.       Keep laughing. There is no coincidence that the public safety profession is wrought with sarcastic and dark humor. Sure, there is a great deal of cynicism out there, and some may argue that it is a survival mechanism. However, I believe it is much greater than that. I made the choice to laugh instead of cry because that phone kept ringing, emergencies continued to happen and I knew I wouldn’t be able to help anyone if I was crying and rocking in a corner, so I choose to laugh. When I hung up the phone with a man who had just found his wife dead, covered in blood, of course I wanted to cry. I am human. However, the next 911 line started ringing and it was not my turn to cry, it was my turn to keep my chin up and do my job, try to help the next person.  I chose to put on my big girl panties, put a smile on my face, crack that sarcastic comment and get back in the game, regardless of the fact that the call I just hung up with wanted to bring me to my knees. And ya know what I have taken that life lesson and applied it to every aspect of my life.

4.       In this family nobody fights alone. I had never experienced a team, a family or friendships like I experienced in public safety. And I quickly learned about loyalty, having each other’s backs, the thin blue line, and being willing to sacrifice for those you care about. As a Dispatcher, when you are making split second life and death decisions you become close with your co-workers on a completely different level. When you go to work every night and you feel a sense of responsibility as to whether or not they go home to their families at the end of their shift there is a level of reliance, commitment, comradery that is unprecedented. However, what I have learned is that we should have those relationships both in our personal and professional lives. I have made a conscientious effort to create an incredible tribe of friends in which we celebrate our good times, pick each other up during the bad, are fiercely protective and way too fucking honest with each other. And those friendships mean more to me than anything else on this planet.

5.       Don’t get comfortable. Every time I thought I was getting comfortable in my career something more bizarre, more intense, more outrageous or more scary occurred to quickly put me in my place. Sure, I could handle a pursuit, officers screaming on the radio, firefighters breathing like Darth Vader through their masks, all like I was taking a walk in the park. I was calm under pressure and I knew it. But be careful what you wish for because if one officer shooting was bad, you were going to get several officers shooting, multi-jurisdictions, 110 rounds fired, in a close quarter gun battle (all hypothetical of course). Same goes for life, the minute we get comfortable and complacent, a curve ball will be tossed in your direction, and it will occur at the most unexpected time or by a person who drop kicks you on your ass (also all hypothetical).

6.       Be the reason someone smiles. Dispatchers are the calm in the storm, the strength when others are weak. When I was a “baby Dispatcher” I often got teased for sounding too happy on the radio. The guys would often tell me they couldn’t tell if I was dispatching a robbery or talking to my best friend while sitting on the sofa. However, I was also told that my shift would hear my voice hit the radio and they knew at that point they were safe, they knew they could go out and start doing self-initiated activity, wreaking havoc and being proactive, because I would keep them safe. I was told that my pursuits sounded like a conversation between me and one of the guys, just shooting the shit. That was the single biggest compliment I received in my 20-year career and so I continue to be the reason that someone smiles.

7.       Happily ever after is not guaranteed. Not every story has a happy ending. And I learned all too well that no amount of prayers, pleading, negotiation, preparation or training can truly prepare you for every aspect of this career. I had a rollover accident into a body of water involving two teenage boys and I had never heard a group of firefighters work so hard in their entire lives to try and save those two young men. I never saw a team work so seamlessly as I did that night between the Dispatchers, Officers and Fire crews, yet at the end of the day, we all went home with tears in our eyes and heavy hearts. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how hard we fight, how bad we want it, real life doesn’t always end with a pretty package and a big red bow.

8.       At the end of the day none of us are in control. I used to like to think I was in control. I liked to believe that if I was good at my job than my officers were going home. I liked to tell myself that I was a damn good Dispatcher and because I could handle the worst of the worst I was in control. But I can also tell you every single person in this profession has had at least one incident that reminds us that we are not in control. One of mine started off completely mundane, a burglar alarm to a business, something the officers respond to countless times a day. We always send two officers, just in case, but we are all confident that a just in case will not occur. So I sent two officers, one of them being a close friend as I was in his wedding, at the hospital when his daughter was born. On this particular evening, the suspect had already made entry into the business by the time my officers arrived. He saw them checking the building, watching them through a large plate glass window. As the officer approached the window he chose to dive through the window, ambushing he officer, in an attempt to escape. The blood curdling screams, fear and surprise in that officers voice was by far the most terrifying thing I have ever heard.

So my badge still sits on the dresser next to my bed. ID #5136 no longer defines me, but it still has a piece of my heart. Just because I am 10-7 doesn’t mean that I don’t celebrate what the profession taught me, honor and respect those that continue to fight for my freedom and safety every day, love how the career shaped me, raised me and taught me about life. In this profession, countless men and women make immeasurable sacrifices to protect and serve all of us, our country, our communities, our families. It is a thankless profession and yet they continue to get up every day, put on that uniform, headset, badge, and do their job to the best of their ability.  Thank you! #thinblueline

1 comment:

  1. I miss HFD#1 and can remember your voice as you handled a traffic accident that killed 4 people and two structure fires at the same time. You were by yourself but in controll.

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews