Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, September 11, 2022

Spam (not the email) & Kimchi Fried Rice

Trying to prove to myself that I can still write about food since you all have listened to me for the last few months wax poetically about everything except food. So, let's see if I still got it!

First of all, if you opened this blog expecting me to rant about junk email aka spam, just walk away. Because believe it or not I am actually talking about the food. Ya know, the canned meat. 

Now, I have to say that I usually try not to judge - people, decisions, life choices, etc. However, I have honestly found myself being a bit judgey when it comes to food. And I have honestly always been a little critical of Spam - until I went to Maui and discovered Spam and rice several years ago....and it made me a believer. That being said, Friday night was my first time actually cooking with Spam! And here are my thoughts.

First of all, its harder to find than I expected at the grocery store. I thought it would be near the tuna fish, ya know next to the chicken of the sea, of course the pig  in a can should be. Alas, I was dead ass wrong and it was over near the canned vegetables. Grocery store folks, really? Don't get it!

Now, let's talk Spam history. It came about  in 1937 and was a staple during WWII as it was non-perishable and could be shipped to our troops. So, we actually brought something positive to the Pacific Islands - pig in a can. You are welcome!

The other thing I find interesting is that nobody truly knows what Spam stands for or how it got named. There are theories and guesses, such as "shoulder of pork and ham" or "specifically processed artificial meat" and countless others, but I truly couldn't find a hard and fast answer. So, if anyone knows the answer feel free to share.

I think we all make fun of Spam, or at least I do, however Hormel makes 44,000 cans an hour. So, they honestly could care less if we make fun of it or not because they are laughing their way to the bank to deposit the money they are making off the canned meat product. 

 And did you also know it comes in different flavors? I went with traditional for this recipe because I thought I was brave just cooking with it, wasn't sure if I was ready to try additional flavors. In case you wanted some flavor examples, there is teriyaki, bacon and with cheese. Ummmm yeah just can't yet.

Ok, so I also need to put my judgment aside because although it has a reputation as a "mystery meat" it actually is supposed to be more pure than our everyday hot dog. It is made with pork - pork shoulder to be exact, whereas hot dogs really are pig leftovers ground up and shaped into a wiener....so now I am being judgmental of the hot dog (although I love one with a cold beer at a baseball game).

Finally, there is a Spam museum in Austin, Minnesota....and just like that I all of a sudden feel the need to get on a plane and head to MN (think thats the state abbreviation, always get those "M" states confused).

On Friday night, I made Kimchi Fried Rice, a recipe I found on Food Network. If you are unfamiliar with kimchi, it is pickled cabbage, and you can get it mild or spicy. And let me just say this was damn good fried rice. I put a fried egg on top of it and it made me straight up happy. It was the perfect thing to eat after being on an airplane all day flying home from the ATL.

Note: This recipe is salty so if you are not a salt fan, just stay away....like truly it made my ankles swell or that could have been from the plane or both....but for real....sexy AF.

Here is the recipe:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 cup chopped onion

3/4 cup diced Spam (half of a 12-ounce can)

1 1/2 cups roughly chopped ripe kimchi, plus 1/3 cup kimchi brine 

4 cups day-old cooked short- or medium-grain white rice

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

Kosher salt

Toasted sesame seeds, for topping (optional)

4 large eggs

2 scallions, thinly sliced


Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Spam and cook until browned around the edges, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped kimchi and cook until it releases most of its liquid and browns slightly around the edges, about 3 minutes.


Add the rice to the skillet and break it up with a wooden spoon; stir to combine. Stir in the kimchi brine, butter, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil; cook until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 3 to 4 minutes. Scrape the bottom of the skillet to ensure there is no burning rice. Season with salt. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Keep warm.

In a separate large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil over low heat until slightly shimmering, about 5 minutes. Crack the eggs into the skillet; cover and cook until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Season with salt.

Divide the fried rice among plates or bowls and top each serving with a fried egg. Sprinkle with the scallions.



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews