Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sometimes you just need to go home...

I recently learned a very valuable lesson. Over 5 years ago I decided to move from Humboldt County or should I say run away. I had that feeling that I couldn't get out of E-town fast enough. I was done with the area and I was ready to get out of there as fast as my little legs could take me. I was ready to leave the area where I grew up, where you ran into people you knew everywhere you went, where everyone knew my history (career history, dating history, high school adventures, etc), where I ran out of career opportunity, where the economy was depressed and there was nothing to do. Sure I was running away from a location but I was also running away from my past.  However, with that mentality of "can't get me out of here fast enough," I also sacrificed and forgot the value of the area and the people that are in it. I forfeited positive relationships, suppressed fun memories of growing up in that area, forgot the beauty of the natural landscape and the eclectic culture.



So last month I had a yearning to go back...to walk through my past, go pack to "my people" and to heal the wounds that were inside of me. I had a desire to go back to Mom and to just be me and to remember all that I worked so hard to forget. And that is what I did...I boarded a plane...yes a prop plane and headed for Humboldt County. It was amazing as I felt a wave of emotion overcome me as I stepped off that plane...a feeling of being home, of calm and of belonging. As I was driving from the airport to my Mom's house I experienced the beauty of the area-truely recognizing it and experiencing it and taking a walk down memory lane with each location and the experiences I had there.



And when I got to my Mom's house I enjoyed all that Moms can do...they can comfort you, they can hold you and dry away your tears. And they can give you wine and homemade pizza and that is exactly what mine did.



The next day I continued my journey...driving by my high school, the house I use to own with my ex-husband and going to the Farmers Market at Arcata Plaza.




And I enjoyed the people...in Humboldt County the people are happy, they are true to themselves, they are at one with nature and they are natural. Walking around the plaza the people watching is amazing as you see and meet the most eclectic and genuine people around. They all make eye contact, they all smile and they all have all of the time in the world to enjoy every experience. I will admit that I did stand out and I did feel a bit like an alien as people stared at the knee high boots, the fake lashes and the bleach blond hair but they didn't stare with negativity, just curiosity.



That night I enjoyed my family and remembered how nurturing they all are. There is nothing better than those family dinners where the wine flows freely and the food is an experience in your mouth. As you all know from reading this blog my family takes food very seriously so what was supposed to be a simple meal was an experience...homemade bow tie pasta with sausage and broccoli rabe...OMG. There was coppanata and spanokapita (Mom made it because she knows its my favorite) and of coarse a giant salad with seasonal vegetables from the Farmers Market. And to see my families smiling faces, feel their hugs and feel their love was by far the best part of the trip.

By Sunday I was ready to come home. I felt healed and felt that I had made peace with some of my past. It was time for me to go to my current home and I will be honest I was starting to get bored. I was ready to get back to the crazy lifestyle where there is always something to do and I am trying to do and be in a 100 places at once. So I got back in my rental car and with 2 more needed stops started to work my way to the airport. It was raining lightly and I stopped by Moonstone Beach...the beach where I use to live  and a place where I always went when I was sad or needed to be alone growing up. And I decided to leave some of my pain here before I headed home...so as I sat on the rocks, listening to the ocean and feeling nature surround me as I let the calm of Humboldt and took a piece of it back home with me. I also stopped at Trinidad Head so I could see the ocean for miles and say my good byes to Humboldt County...but not because I was running and not forever but just for now. Because I learned that sometimes you just need to go home and I will be back soon.

1 comment:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews