Powered by Blogger.
Monday, May 16, 2011

Damn this weather...

So I try to cook based on what on what is in season and according to the weather. I often find that I crave different types of foods depending on the temperature, atmosphere and environment. Well let me tell you this year so far has been a challenge. The weather can't make up its mind which besides being frustrating because we pay a hell of a lot of money to live in So Cal and get warm sunny weather year round it is also impossible to figure out what to cook. So far this year we can have a day of beautiful 80 degree sunshine followed by a day of rain followed by days like today which is just cold (ie. for those of you in Nor Cal its 65 degrees and yes we are all FREEZING!!)

Every weekend when I plan my menus for the week I feel like I am playing Russian roulette as I search for recipes that potentially by Wednesday I may not be in the mood for and they might just not match the weather. So I am sure some of you are thinking...hmmm how about The Weather Channel genius? But let me just say really how predictable is this weather prediction business and who has time to agonize over the nuances of the upcoming weather. (Ok I do have a few dear co-workers at work who truly do know everything about the weather but planning ahead for the weather isn't my thing). For example, I am that person who doesn't look at the weather before they go on vacation but just packs what they want to wear and often ends up buying sweaters or shorts wherever I go depending on the locale and the weather. I am also the person who always finds herself wearing flip flops in the rain and I am always surprised by this. Need I say more?

So anyway you get the point that this year has been a challenging year for menu planning based on weather. However, as you can see by the fact that I am still writing this blog and I haven't gone hungry I am finding a way to muddle through.

Here are a few recipes that I have tried in the last couple of weeks that I completely recommend:

Guacamole Salad (I know it sounds weird but I made it for a UFC party with carne asada tacos and it was too die for) http://www.bhg.com/recipe/salads/guacamole-salad/

Grilled Shrimp Cocktail w/3 Dipping Sauces
Shrimp:
1 lb med shrimp with tails, peeled and deveined
oil or melted butter for grilling
kosher salt
pepper
1/2 lime

Preheat a grill pan or outdoor grill to med-high. Toss shrimp with just enough oil or butter to coat lightly (I used olive oil).  Then season with salt and pepper to taste. If cooking on an open grill grate thread the shrimp on skewers or place in a grill basket. (I did not soak the skewers in water and yes they caught on fire). Grill shrimp until they just curl and are translucent, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Squeeze lime over the shrimp and serve warm or at room temperature with dip.

Dipping Sauces
#1 Tunisian Pesto
2 cups packed fresh cilantro (leaves and some stems)
1 cup packed fresh parsley (leave and some stems)
1/4 cup almonds
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
pinch cayenne pepper

1. Combine the cilantro, parsley, almonds and garlic in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add about 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Add the salt and cayenne pepper.

#2 Fresh Green Chutney
1 1" piece peeled fresh ginger
3 scallions (white and green parts), cut into large pieces
1 cup fresh cilantro (leaves and some stems)
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 jalapeno, stemmed (with or without seeds depending on how spicy you want it)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 tsp salt

With the food processor running drop ginger into the bowl and process until coarsely chopped. Scrape down side of bowl and add scallions, cilantro, yogurt, jalapeno, lime juice and salt. Process to a textured paste.

#3 Wasabi Guacamole

1 heaping tablespoon wasabi powder
1 T water
1 avocado
1 scallion (white and green parts), finely chopped
1 T lime juice
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tsp mirin
1/2 tsp salt
2 T cilantro

Which wasabi and water in a small bowl to make a thick paste. Halve the avocado and scrape out the flesh. Mix in the wasabi, scallion, lime juice, ginger, mirin and salt with a fork. Stir in the cilantro

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews