Powered by Blogger.
Monday, November 21, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas & Delight

So yesterday was one of those few rainy days in Southern California and to make it even better it was one of the more rare  days when it is raining and I don't have anywhere to be. I went for my run in the morning and I truly love running in the rain...must be from growing up in the rainy Pacific Northwest...you either run in the rain or you don't run at all. And then I decided to spend the rest of the day watching tv and laying on the couch...felt so luxurious. I got caught up on the new season of Top Chef Texas...have to see I do have a baby crush on Chris Crary...and it does help that he lives in LA...but I am not to the stalker stage of my crush yet. So I don't have his address but if anyone knows and wants to share I will not turn away that information....hmmm or at least I need a field trip to his restaurant...because what if he isn't as attractive in person and my little crush bubble will be shattered.



I digress...so due to the weather and my lack of desire to put any effort into any activity yesterday I was looking for a dinner plan that was easy, comfort food based and did not require hours of preparation. I found a recipe on Food Network for Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas and they were the perfect necessity for a cold November night. They were easy as the chicken is already pre-cooked...having me a love affair with rotisserie chickens right now...they are moist, easy to shred and easy to take the skin off. They were warm with a little spice as they are covered in homemade salsa verde and they were cheesy which screams comfort food, right. Oh and even better they took 30-45 minutes to make. I served them with Cupcake Sauvignon Blanc and it was absolutely perfect.



So the recipe starts by roasting tomatillos, onions and serrano chiles in the broiler for 7-10 minutes. All of these vegetables are then added to a blender or in my case a food processor since after this weekend I am a little blender gun shy. Add salt, pepper, sugar and chicken broth and process. Instant salsa verde!!!



Then take corn tortillas and as I learned on Top Chef...enchiladas have corn tortillas and burritos have flour tortilla...thanks Tom Colicchio for that lesson...now I won't be sent home for making enchiladas with flour tortillas. Fill the tortillas with the shredded chicken, jack cheese and cilantro. Brush the enchiladas with olive oil and put them back in the broiler for 3-5 minutes...this gave them a really nice crispy exterior shell. Cover them with the salsa verde and remaining jack cheese and put them back in the broiler again for 3-5 minutes which warms the salsa and melts the cheese. Yum!!! Cover the enchiladas with thinly sliced onions and queso fresco and serve. This truly was so good and if you are looking for an easy, tasty weekday meal this is it. It would also be super easy to make this with just cheese if you are a vegetarian.



So now we are 3 days from Thanksgiving...dear god the grocery stores are insane...too bad I am not organized enough to already have my Thanksgiving shopping done. But the good news is that the ingredients for my chorizo cornbread stuffing just arrant in high demand so I should be ok...and if not I will come up with plan B...not sure what plan B is yet though.

2 comments:

  1. The food looks great! Happy Thanksgiving! keep up the great blogging, you were missed while you were gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving and thank you

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews