Powered by Blogger.
Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Baking


So I have often thought to myself…self…are those cookbooks that are created by companies actually any good or are they just gimmicky ways to get you to buy name brand products? So I have been cooking with this Hersheys chocolate cookbook for quite sometime now and let me just say surprisingly Hersheys knows their chocolate. Sure I was kind of bummed when it bought out Scharffen Berger chocolate…just because they are my all time favorite dark chocolate and I was afraid that the company would either be destroyed or decrease in quality due to the buy out. Yet Scharffen Berger has seemed to prevail and let me just say again Hersheys really knows it chocolate.

Don't you love the bottles of wine in the background


I decided to try and make Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies. I figured what the hell I have to make a TON of cornbread for my chorizo cornbread stuffing and the cookies called for an oven that was set at 375 degrees and I had the ingredients for the cookies…it was truly a sign.

I also love those cookie recipes that you can pretty much mix everything in one bowl…ok maybe 2 with this recipe and then just put the cookies on a baking sheet by the spoonfuls and bake…its easy, yummy and I know I know makes the house smell good.

I did learn a valuable lesson that I figure I should share with you all. When creaming the butter and sugars together in the mixing bowl it is definitely recommended to lock the mixing bowl in place. Yup I locked the mixing mechanism but not the bowl as the sugar and butter catapulted across my counter. Love it! However, after that one mishap the rest of the cookie making was smooth sailing…ok I did have to fish out an egg shell and I accidentally added too much vanilla…but those are normal and regular occurances for me.

The recipe calls for chopped nuts just so you all know if you want to be twinsies (remember that phrase from your childhood) with me I used chopped pecans. Another childhood memory was brought to my attention this week. Do you remember pajamas with feet? You will all be happy to know that Target has adult footed pjs….oh yeah….nothing screams sex appeal like sock mockey pajamas with feet…seriously what guy wouldn’t be hot for some of that. If they thought getting the bra off was hard…imagine them trying to get off onesie pjs with feet…just the very thought makes me chuckle to myself. Yes, if I was a clothing designer I would design as many clothes as possible that would make teenage makeout sessions as challenging as possible for the pubescent male….why you might ask…because I could.  Ahhh the memories of that boy who tried to get your bra off for the first time…chuckle chuckle. Or the men who still can’t do it today.

Wow how I digress. So cream the butter and sugar in the mixing bowl. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat together. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl. And add slowly to mixer. Once blended stir in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans. The cookies are very moist and chewy…just the way I like them. They bake for 7 minutes, sit for 1 minute and cool on a cookie rack. I did of course find that although the recipe says it makes 4 dozen I just did not find that to be the case.

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving!!! Enjoyed good food, wine, family and friends. And if you were awake at midnight and were crazy enough to hit The Oaks mall with me I want to know why you didn’t find me and buy me a cup of coffee. And you might be thinking to yourself what deals can be so good that you are inspired to go shopping at midnight. I haven’t the slightest fucking idea because it was a zoo, I found no amazing deals, but I did get some great people watching and girl time out of it. Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. As always a great story, the small glimpses into your growing up are priceless. I hadn't heard of Scharfenberger chocolate so I checked it out. Seems John Scharffenberger is quite a guy. First sparking wine, then chocolate and now tofu. For those like me here's his story - http://www.ethicurean.com/2010/06/20/scharffenberge/
    The more I read your blog the more I learn. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you love dark chocolate Scharfenberger is a must have!!!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews