Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Yup I Went Cajun


Ok so I know that I am often a poser and yes I do pretend to be a lot of things that I am not like Jewish or tall. However, I can honestly say that the one thing I have never pretended to be is French…I have a horrible fake accent, I know very little about French food and I have never been to the country. However, tonight I think I came pretty close to being French because I made a damn good meal…Shrimp Etouffee…ok sure technically its Cajun but really we all know the roots are still French. I found the recipe in Cooking Light and I felt that I needed something light after eating everything that came within a 10 mile radius of me over the weekend.

So tonight I had quite a few firsts….made my first roux and it was way easier than I expected…just don’t walk away. And if you are unfamiliar with roux it is a thickening agent that is often used as a base for French sauces. It is most commonly made with butter and flour. 



 I also defrosted shrimp for the first time…after a quick google search I learned that they can be defrosted quickly under cold running water…worked like a charm. I also learned that if you talk too much your broth can boil over if you aren’t paying attention. And finally I learned if this recipe is any indication of my inclination for French cooking I pretty much rock.



The recipe starts with chicken broth with dried thyme, basil and a bay leaf. It simmers on the stove...until I boil it over. Then make your roux which is just butter and flour and even though the recipe is from Cooking Light it still uses real butter. I also learned that the color of the roux means something as this recipe wanted a nutty and rich flavor so you cook it for 8 minutes until it turns a dark toasted color. Then add the broth and create a thick gravy that is smooth and smells like deliciousness.



In a separate pan melt some butter and sautee the onion, celery, red pepper and green pepper. Once they have cooked for approximately 10 minutes add ¾ cup water and deglaze the pan. Then add tomato paste, creole seasoning (what is the difference between Creole and Cajun seasoning, does anyone know?), Worcestershire sauce (I hate that word cause I can’t say it), salt, pepper and red pepper (ground). Add the gravy mixture and finally add the shrimp, green onion and parsley and cook for 3 minutes.  Serve over rice and it is so flavorful, warm, cozy and spicy. It is perfect for a cold winter evening.

And just so you all know I tried to google the difference between creole and cajun seasoning and all I could find was the difference between the ethnicity. Cajun is of French descent and Creole is French and Spanish. But how that translates into a spice I am just not sure. 

I do believe I first had an etouffee in Las Vegas or Henderson...ok lets just go with some part of Nevada so I am not a liar.  It was at one of those restaurants where they use the silver funnel looking pots (I have no idea what they are called) and although I am sure the version I had was not from Cooking Light this recipe had a similar flavor palette and texture which is what made this so surprisingly good. In case you haven’t got the picture yet I am really happy with this recipe as it is damn good. I also thought it was an unusual coincidence as I spent my day off today reading a book that my Mom sent me called Love, God and the Art of French Cooking…think this might be a theme in my life right now…and the only thing I can hope for is that it will all end in a European vacation filled with cheese, baguettes and French winery tours just saying. Sugar Daddy where are you?

P.S. Nic and Marl, while making my French Cajun recipe I wore my “Kitchen Bitch” apron and thought of you. XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Danah,
    In Creole spice mixes you will find:

    paprika
    kosher salt
    garlic powder
    black pepper
    onion powder
    cayenne powder
    oregano
    thyme

    In Creole spice mixes you will find:

    onion powder
    garlic powder
    dried oregano leaves
    dried sweet basil
    dried thyme leaves
    black pepper
    white pepper
    cayenne pepper
    celery seed
    sweet paprika

    There really is little difference, they vary in the amount of each ingredient. I'm sure you could substitute one for the other without noticing a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the second selection should have read Creole

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews