Powered by Blogger.
Monday, February 20, 2012

Happy Presidents Day!!

Don't worry this isn't going to be another rant about how much I hate Presidents Day...I reserve that only for Valentines. I am actually thrilled that I have today off work and I am looking forward to a day where I can workout, have lunch with a good friend and bake some cookies this afternoon. Ok sure I also have to do some things that scream domestic bliss like laundry, going to the dry cleaners and dishes but I think I can get those done fast enough that they won't impact my day.



So the other day I was looking through my baby album and I came across this picture. Although some children are born with a silver spoon in their mouths my roots were much more kitchen based and humble because as you can see I was born with a wooden spoon in my mouth. I was told that this was one of my favorite "toys" and that I got great pleasure out of rifling through peoples kitchen cupboards and pulling out all of the cooking accouterments I could get my chubby little hands on. My childhood was pre-plastic cupboard locks so it was a treasure trove for me. I was also told that yes the wooden spoon was a personal favorite however I truly loved an old style Italian metal coffee pot that I seemed to get great pleasure out of banging on the floor and the wall. And although my family was very impressed with my musical skill they were more impressed with the coffee pot as it never dented due to my harassment and abuse. Funny thing is I still love going through peoples cupboards...I love cooking in other peoples kitchens...so if anyone wants to volunteer their kitchen just let me know. ***Warning I am messy!!! ***

Since I am not doing distance running right now I am super conscientious of what I am eating because I am not burning 800 calories on a run. Last night I made Thai Peanut Chicken Stir Fry Salad because it is low calorie and low in fat...plus I bought the Thai Peanut Sauce at the last Pampered Chef party I attended so I decided I need to use it. I also decided that I need a sous chef...its really great to have someone that cuts all your vegetables and has everything ready for you when you need to throw it in the pan.



The recipe is very easy to make as you start by cutting boneless, skinless chicken thighs into 1 inch pieces and sauteing them in vegetable oil with some salt and pepper. Meanwhile you julienne your carrots which we learned how to do courtesy of You Tube....I did jack them up a little bit by hacking at the poor carrot prior to viewing the video but my sous chef rescued me. Add 8 cups romaine lettuce to the carrots and let those wait. To the chicken you add sliced red onion, strips of red bell pepper, garlic and baby corn. I don't know why but I just love baby corn...think I may have actually been the one that picked almost all of the baby corn out of the recipe...oops....

Once the vegetables have become tender and the chicken is cooked through add the peanut sauce and toss with the carrot/lettuce mixture. The chicken stir fry kind of helps the lettuce wilt a little bit and its a great meal that is light, fresh and healthy. BTW if you don't have Pampered Chef Thai Peanut Sauce you can use any store bought version but I do have to say I like the Pampered Chef one as its not too sweet and it has a subtle curry flavor.

Hope everyone enjoys the birthdays of Washington and Lincoln...that is whose bday we are actually celebrating, right? Cheers!!!

2 comments:

  1. It was delicious! Next time I'll make sure to set my DVR prior to coming over and
    I will be your 2nd sous chef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can cook in my kitchen anytime, not only will I be your sous chef but I'll wash and dry the dishes. Maybe it is time for you to become a personal chef, cooking for people in their homes for big parties or special occasions.I bet you would be a great success!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews