Powered by Blogger.
Friday, February 3, 2012

Random Cooking Week

So this week I didn't have a cooking theme, pattern or plan. However, I felt like cooking which is a good thing. And I enjoyed it, I did not set the house on fire and I didn't injure myself or others...all of which are positives. *** There were no people or pets injured in the creation of this food *** Yup my blog comes complete with disclaimers.

It is Friday morning and this is truly one of my most favorite times of the day and week. This is my time to come off my week and just destress. I open all the blinds so I can see the sun, make some chai tea and just sit here with my computer enjoying and doing what I enjoy. I would say that I wish I could do it every day but I know that something would be lost if this tradition became my common place daily habit...so I enjoy it once a week and savor it...before I go get my ass kicked at the gym.

Oh and here is your randomness for the day, did you know that in the 1800s ketchup was used as medicine? That is all I know because I just saw it listed as a tidbit in a magazine but I thought I would pass it on.



So my obsession with whoopie pies continued this week. I made German Chocolate Fudge Whoopie Pies...ok sure they were sandwich cookies but the way I made them they were like whoopie pies. So I either made them too big or the recipe misnamed them. Either way they were good...I actually thought they were better the 2nd day. They were super easy to make as you make the fudge cookie dough in the mixer and then the filling you cook in a saucepan-butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, pecans and toasted coconut. I learned how to toast coconut through this experience and actually learned that coconut toasts pretty quickly so watch it closely so it doesn't burn. To toast coconut you put it in a single layer on a cookie sheet and just put it in the oven for approximately 10 minutes.

Since as you all know I am a little obsessed with whoopie pies I thought I should do some research so if nothing else I can move on. I figure you guys are like enough already is this a food and wine blog or a bacon, whoopie pie and buffalo chicken blog...I know I get stuck in food ruts and I am trying to get out of this one right now. Anyway did you know?

  • Whoopie pies were created in Maine around 1925 or Pennsylvania in the 1700s...yes there is a discrepancy...seriously of course everyone is trying to claim the whoopie pie as their own
  • Whoopie pies is Maine's official state dessert...yeah I know I didn't know we had state desserts either...California doesn't have one but if you want to know more here is the web page that lists the official state desserts http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_food.htm
  • The biggest whoopie pie on record is 1,062 lbs and yes it was made in Maine

Ok so this week I also made a Tofu Vegetable Stir Fry and I have to say it probably is the closest I have come to having authentic Chinese food flavors. I think it was due to the hoisin sauce but it is really good and has a lot of flavor and hides the texture of the tofu pretty well. The shitake mushrooms were nice and chewy and absorbed the flavor of the sauce really well. I am not the biggest fan of cooked snow peas just because they seem a little stringy to me I much prefer them raw but they worked in this recipe. I served it over rice and it was a great take to work lunch kind of thing. 



Finally, I also made a Seared Scallop over Bacon and Spinach Salad with Cider Vinaigrette. This was probably my favorite recipe of the week because it came from Cooking Light, it reminded me of a bacon spinach salad and I cooked the scallops to perfection. I have over cooked scallops before and they just become rubbery and kind of grotesque however these you dust with curry powder, salt and ground red pepper and then saute them on both sides in a pan with bacon fat in it. They had a great crust on the exterior but they were smooth on the inside and coupled with bacon and shallot dressing it was great. I served this with a chardonnay and it truly made for a perfect night. 

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ahead...I have another half marathon on Sunday so think happy thoughts...think this might be my last one for a bit...but really I know I keep saying that about whoopie pies and buffalo chicken too and guess what I making for dinner tonight...Buffalo Chicken Salad. Anyway have a wonderful Super Bowl with tons of great food. Cheers!!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews