Powered by Blogger.
Monday, June 30, 2014

Healthy Twice Baked Potatoes from Bobby Deen

So I have been a twice baked potato fiend since I was a young child. It was on my "I love" list from early on. However, as I started to realize that I wasn't actually going to be the 5'10" 110lb runway model that I always thought of myself as I recognized that I needed to start paying attention to how much butter, cheese and fat I consumed. Seriously a bummer! Since that point when I stopped growing at the age of 12, not even right, I tried to be a little more conscientious...which has led me on this quest for a healthy version of twice baked potatoes that didn't leave me so incredibly deprived that I sat at the dinner table crying. Sure I still allow myself a "real" twice baked potato now and again just to keep myself from binge eating potatoes, but in general everything in moderation.




Bobby Deen came out with a  healthy comfort food cook book several years back, however I just got around to trying his twice baked potato recipe. And I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Sure it is missing the gobs of butter and cream so the potatoes are not as creamy as we often envision, but the low fat cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt definitely helps. These potatoes are still cheesy and still reminiscent of a twice baked potato enough that you aren't left feeling lost and alone. Plus they are super good leftover and since I hate bananas they have helped with potassium intake and kept me away from running leg craps...win/win!!

To begin with bake 4 potatoes in a 350 degree oven for an hour. Sure you can speed up this process in the microwave, but for some reason I love to make baked potatoes in the oven. I think it goes bake to childhood memories of my Mom baking potatoes and the kitchen feeling all warm and cozy on rainy winter days...so I still make them the old fashioned way. Remember to poke holes in the potatoes so the air can escape and your potatoes don't crack or explode...that is never fun!!

Remove the potatoes from the oven and slice off the top off the potato.

Scoop out the insides of the potato. I just use a spoon and carefully run the spoon around the potato, trying not to break through the skin. Add the potato mixture to 1 cup grated low fat Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, 1/3 cup skim milk, salt and pepper. Combine until you have what looks like mashed potatoes...you can make them as lumpy or creamy as you like...no judgment here.


Stuff the mashed potato mixture back into the potato shells. Sprinkle with paprika, I used smoked paprika which added a nice well smokey flavor.


Bake the potatoes for another 20-30 minutes and voila!! You can garnish the potatoes with sliced green onions or just eat them...whatever makes you happy!

Enjoy and remember when you eat low fat twice baked potatoes you definitely have enough calories for wine...just sayin'...cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews