Powered by Blogger.
Friday, April 17, 2020

Ricotta Spinach Dumplings & Other Virus Comforts

I would love to tell you all that I have been immune to the fear, negativity, and frustration that so many of you have felt during this pandemic. But that would be a straight up lie. Sure, I try everyday to focus on positivity and gratitude because I know I have so much to be grateful form. However, lets be real. This is hard...for everyone...we are all creating a "new normal." And you take a country that loathes changes and force them to change in an environment where it is completely and utterly out of their control....we are all just reeling....even if it's just a little bit.

So, I have found that it is the small things that I have found comfort in, food being one of them. However, here are a few other comforts that have helped pick me up when I am feeling like a caged animal:

1. Wine-not to sound like an alcoholic, but I have honestly had a glass of wine every night. It symbolizes the end of my work day and the beginning of my play day...even though it is all in the same environment (aka.my house).
2. Zoom/FaceTime-my Mom and I got to color our hair together via FaceTime and Thursdays I have a standing happy hour date with my girls from So Cal (aka Thirsty Thursday). This is the shit that keeps me going.
3. Exercise-whatever the form! My Peloton has been a god send, but so has Zoom and You Tube yoga classes and running/walking outside.
4. Netflix in bed. I am one of those that doesn't believe a TV should be in the bedroom, so taking my iPad into the bedroom and crawling into bed to watch Tiger King or Surviving R Kelly. Guilty f'ing pleasure!!
5. Humor-I have tried to find a way to make myself laugh every single day. That might be a stand up comedy special, it may be a conversation with a good friend, it may be the most recent book by Chelsea Handler or a podcast with Amy Schumer or just laughing at myself trying to color my hair. Force yourself to laugh!

 

 


Now, let's go back to food. As many of you know I was raised by an Italian family so Italian food is my comfort zone. That being said, I was not raised on Ricotta and Spinach Dumplings (and I am sure they have an Italian name so if you know what that is, please tell me) and so I wanted to give this recipe a try as it represented a little bit of comfort and a little bit of an experiment. And let me just say these are straight up amazing!!

I have fond memories of my Mom make cheese ricotta manicotti as a kid and my favorite part was taking a spoon to the ricotta container and eating the leftover cheese. So, that is exactly what I did with this recipe and I swear to God nothing has made me happier in a really long time.

This recipe is comforting, but light. It is flavorful and I was so impressed with how quick and easy the sauce was to make, but seriously it is so much better than any jar sauce out there. This felt like eating cheese and spinach pillows and they made me beyond happy!

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28-ounce can no-salt-added whole peeled tomatoes in puree
8 large fresh basil leaves
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and finely chopped
2 cups whole-milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
2 large egg yolks
Pinch of grated nutmeg
 
Whenever possible use San Marzano tomatoes. It so seriously makes a difference. The flavor is out of this world! And although the recipe calls for whole tomatoes I always prefer to use diced or crushed and so that is what I did with this recipe as well. I used crushed and I still blended them and I honestly could drink this sauce.
 
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
 
There is truly no better smell than garlic and olive oil cooking. It makes me happy. Talk about comfort! #happygirl
 
Stir in the tomatoes and mash into a chunky sauce using a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 12 minutes. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and transfer to a blender; puree.   
 
Use whole milk and not part skim ricotta. It makes a difference in a recipe like this. And just to be a ricotta snob, I have to admit that I like my ricotta to have an Italian name like Galbani! And yes my family says ricotta with a "g" like rigggotta….just sayin.
 
Dust a rimmed baking sheet with flour; set aside. Mix the spinach, ricotta, parmesan, egg yolks, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the flour and stir until just combined.
 
This is the mixture. And sorry, but I don't have anything sassy to say about it.
 
Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the flour-dusted pan, shaking the pan from side to side to coat the dumplings in the flour and smooth out their edges. Refrigerate 10 minutes. 
 
I honestly probably could have used a little more flour to roll them in because they were a little sticky and that may have impacted their consistent shape and aesthetic. But hell I don't have lash extensions right now so we are all sacrificing our beauty for this pandemic!
 
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer. Add the chilled dumplings and cook until they float to the top and are tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
 
When I first put the dumplings in the water this is what it looked like. I was pretty sure they were all falling apart and becoming a giant puddle of goo in that water, but thankfully when they started to floating to the top I was ecstatic!!
 
Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel¿lined plate to drain.
 
My dumplings lost some shape while being cooked, but it didn't impact their flavor and so I decided to celebrate their diversity!
 
Serve on top of the tomato sauce and drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with more parmesan.
 
 
Thank you to all of our first responders and essential employees. I know you all don't hear thank you enough, but please know that I am grateful. Cheers

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews