Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, September 5, 2020

Air Fryer Eggplant Parmesan

 So, let's be real...I am a straight up sucker for kitchen gadgets. However, that being said I didn't fall in love with my Instant Pot, or at least I haven't yet, so I was a little hesitant when the Air Fryer became the latest rage.



That being said, I decided it was time for me to jump on the bandwagon. I am on this high protein, low fat and low carb diet and the air fryer had the potential to be the answer to my carb/fat starved body and severe baguette cravings. 

Therefore, when I found this recipe for Eggplant Parmesan without the oil and lower in fat I decided this would be the perfect maiden voyage with the air fryer. And OMG this is one happy girl! My eggplant was crispy on the outside and not dried out on the inside. It tasted like real eggplant Parmesan and it was truly the ideal comfort food....without the guilt. But wait there is more, since I had no Eggplant Parmesan guilt....I was able to totally justify a glass of wine. #winning. 

The only complaint I had and I don't even know if you would call it a complaint, is that the air fryer could only fit four pieces of eggplant at a time, so if you were cooking for a crowd or making a large batch this could be a time intensive process. Minor inconvenience for what is gained in my opinion. 

Ingredients:

½ cup Italian bread crumbs

¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

1 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon dried basil

½ teaspoon garlic powder

½ teaspoon onion powder

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

¼ cup flour

2 large eggs eggs, beaten  

1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds

1 cup marinara sauce, or more to taste

8 slices mozzarella cheese, or as needed

Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper in a shallow bowl. Place flour in a separate shallow bowl and beaten eggs in a third shallow bowl.

Dip sliced eggplant first in flour, then in beaten eggs, and finally coat with bread crumb mixture. 

Place coated eggplant on a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.


Preheat an air fryer to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C).

Place breaded eggplant rounds in the air fryer basket, making sure they are not touching; work in batches if necessary. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, flip each round, and cook until desired crispiness is achieved, 4 to 6 minutes more. 

Top each eggplant round with marinara sauce and 1 slice mozzarella cheese. Place basket back in the air fryer and cook until cheese has started to melt, 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining eggplant, if necessary.

Let me also say, I think the air fryer is magic. I have no idea how in the hell it fries with air and makes shit crispy without an oil product. Pure magic!! And yes I know I could probably Google the science behind it, but sometimes we just want to believe in magic....and that is where I am at with this! Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews