Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, September 17, 2020

Pizza Frittata **warning adult content**

 So, as many of you know I am on this high protein diet and I know that I am not alone in the "you want what you can't have" category. No, I am not talking about dating right here. And so....what do I want more than anything in the world? F'ing pizza of course!! Desperate times lead to desperate measures and so when I found this Pizza Frittata recipe in an old issue of Food Network magazine I started fiendin even more....kind of like a crack whore jonesin' for her next fix.

Side note: Yeah I am pretty sure I am the only food blog on the planet that uses crack whore analogies to describe her food.....but I get creative license.

Anyway, tonight I made said Pizza Frittata and don't get me wrong it was good, but it is not a replace-a-pizza by any stretch of the imagination. And although I made it for dinner, most frittata recipes are usually a breakfast gig, and I couldn't imagine doing a pizza frittata for breakfast...so keep this as a lunch/dinner recipe.

Another side note: I have to give a shout out to this pepperoni I discovered. It is seriously the best pepperoni on the planet and if you are local I found it at Murphy's. If you are not local, it is worth tracking it down. It has great flavor, the perfect amount of grease, tastes fresh, and doesn't have that weird texture that pepperoni sometimes has. It almost reminded me of a cross between Spanish chorizo and pepperoni and its too die for!

However, although this is not a pizza replacement this is a great recipe and really good healthy comfort food. I do recommend using high quality sauce because I personally feel that can make or break any recipe and I also did my own thing with the salad because I had fresh cucumbers and tomatoes and I wanted those instead of bell peppers. Take creative license there!

Here is the recipe:

6 large eggs plus 4 egg whites

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1/2 cup low-sodium marinara sauce

3/4 cup low-moisture part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)

1 ounce sliced pepperoni

2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese

2 teaspoons red wine vinegar

1 10-ounce package mixed Italian salad greens (such as romaine and radicchio; about 8 cups)

1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced

Torn fresh basil, for topping

4 slices crusty Italian bread











  1. Preheat the broiler. Whisk the eggs and egg whites with 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until curds begin to form, 2 to 3 minutes. 

  2. Transfer the skillet to the broiler; broil until set but not browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  3. Spread the marinara sauce over the eggs, leaving a 1/2-inch border. 
  4. Top with the mozzarella, pepperoni and parmesan. Return to the broiler until the cheese is bubbling, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
  5. Whisk the vinegar with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl. Add the salad greens and bell pepper; toss. Sprinkle the frittata with basil and cut into wedges. Serve with the salad and bread.



















0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews