Powered by Blogger.
Monday, September 26, 2011

Love Going Away but There is No Place Like Home...

When I was a little girl I went through a phase where Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz was truly my hero. I made friends and family call me "Dorothy," I had an imaginary dog named Toto, I thought Glenda the Good Witch was the prettiest woman on the face of the world, my favorite song was Lollipop Kids and I coveted red shiny  high heeled slippers like there was no tomorrow. Today I am so very thankful my Mom did not name me Dorothy...sorry to the Dorothys out there its not my favorite name. I do not have a dog named Toto his name is Norton and he is not a small black terrier...he is a 120 lb yellow lab...yes he lost 10 lbs. Glenda is not my physical ideal any longer probably because now I know that a dress that big just makes my hips look HUGE!!! And the Lollipop Kids is no longer my favorite song...ok yes I may be bitter because I am the same height as a munchkin. However, I still love shoes and red shiny shoes are awesome!!!

So anyway this weekend I went to Phoenix for a wedding and I have to say it was a truly a great weekend filled with family, friends, fun times by the pool and amazing food. I also met some amazing new friends...thanks to wedding seating charts. However, there is nothing like home. By late last night when I was sitting at the airport waiting for my flight home I was ready to be home and ready to cook again. And of course as I was standing in line waiting to board they made an announcement,"please sit down the plane has a radio that needs to be repaired." Thankfully that was quickly repaired and I made it home safely.

While at the airport I started looking through my iphone cooking apps trying to figure out what I wanted to make for dinner and I found a recipe for Scallops with Garlicky Tomatillo Salsa. So the first call I made as I stepped off the plane was to my local fish market to find out what time they were open until. Yes, I know I am a tad bit fanatical...how many people call their fish store from the airport, right. Thankfully they were open until 2100 so I was in luck...as I was able to run from the airport to the grocery store and start cooking.

This recipe was really good!! The scallops are placed on skewers and brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with red pepper and smoked paprika. I have never used smoked paprika before and I really liked the flavor and come to find out it has a great smoky flavor...I am guessing that is probably where the name came from. The scallops chill in the refrigerator for 30 min and then they are grilled. Yum! Just be careful not to overcook them because they get chewy if you are not careful.

The recipe also has a homemade salsa verde which is way easy as all of the ingredients are placed in a food processor. I have never used canned tomatillos and I was concerned about finding them but they were readily available at my local grocery store and they blended into salsa very smoothly and quickly. 

This is a beautiful dish to plate as the salsa goes on the plate as the base and the scallops are placed on top of the salsa and sprinkled with queso fresco cheese which is crumbled. The cheese gives the recipe a nice tangy contrast to the salsa and the spice of the scallops. I made a side of rice with the scallops and I just made rice in the rice cooker and added chopped up cilantro, tomatoes, red onions and avocados to the rice. I added a little extra salsa verde and salt for flavor to the rice and it served as a colorful and flavorful compliment to the scallop skewers. This was truly the perfect meal to break in my kitchen after a weekend away.

However, a brief restaurant recommendation if you are ever in the Phoenix area-Sierra Bonita Grill. This restaurant is Southwestern cuisine and it has amazingly fresh and flavorful food. The Azteca Soup was heaven-loved the chipotle flavor and the tortilla chip strips in it. And I highly recommend Sergio's Pork Tenderloin which has a chocolate espresso rub on it...super tender meat and a really unique flavor.The guacamole and salsa were perfect and all of this food paired with a pinot noir, great company and a beautiful wedding made for an absolutely perfect night! 

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews