Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Perfect Fall Meal & A Few Random Thoughts

So although today was 80 degrees for some reason it felt like Fall to me and so I decided to make a Fall meal. I made chicken chili and cornbread...which although I prefer beef chili I figured chicken was way better for me. Plus I found a recipe for chicken chili that I could make in the crockpot which makes everything better. However, I do have to say that I did feel a little odd cutting chicken thighs at 0600 before I went to work...maybe I should have assembled it the night before. Nothing like standing there in business attire hacking away at a chicken thigh, right?


This Southwestern Chicken Chili recipe is super easy as all you need to do is cut up some onions, bell pepper and chicken thighs. Throw in a bunch of seasoning and some canned ingredients and just let it cook. I also loved walking into the house after work and smelling chili throughout the house...that alone pretty much makes it worthwhile.

As for the cornbread I have to say that throughout time I have tried just about every cornbread recipe known to man because well I love cornbread. However, I always go back to old faithful...I remember making cornbread as a kid probably around the age of 12 and I remember my family telling me how great it was and being so proud that I made it myself. Well that recipe came from the back of the Albers corn meal box and I clearly remember the orange and blue box and even after all these years that recipe is still my favorite. Plus I have to say it is one of the easiest recipes on the planet which always helps when it comes to me and baking. I love to serve cornbread with honey butter which if you have never made it before is so easy and pretty much a slice of heaven. You take softened butter or margarine and add honey and stir until mixed thoroughly. I don't measure I just taste and so my suggestion is just to add as much honey as you want...if you like it sweet add more and if you like it more buttery add less...think you get the picture.

So here is the Albers Cornmeal Cornbread Recipe straight from the back of the box:

1 cup Albers yellow corn meal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 400. Grease an 8" square baking pan
Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine milk, vegetable oil and egg in a small bowl and mix well. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended. Pour into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes and serve warm.

Ok now for the randomness. So last night I made a steak recipe that in and of itself was just ok but the recipe called for fried garlic on the steak. And the steak was to die for! You take olive oil and heat it in a skillet until its really hot. You take as much garlic as you want and slice it so its thin. Throw the garlic slices in the oil and cook until golden brown and then remove with a slotted spoon. Serving these over steak was great-amazing garlic flavor without being too overbearing but this would also be good in a salad or rice dish. Just an idea.

The coolest thing happened to me today-I got my first blog gift....can you call it schwag or just blog kick back? So I go into work today and on my desk is this:

And along with this gift is a note that says something like hope this helps you light your candles. Yay I have a fan who reads my blog I was so excited. So thanks Marl for making my day. And let me tell you all of the candles in the house are lit right now and it kind of smells like a flower garden explosion next to a cinnamon roll factory. Not sure if that is good or not but I love my lighters.

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews