Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, September 3, 2011

Supersize Me & Some Perfect Food

So I am really not a fan of most foods that are supersized...usually they just mean more fat, more calories and more pain/suffering. However, I was just reading an article about a new jalapeno that has been created that is bigger, faster and stronger. It is called the...wait for it....JALMUNDO!!! No that is not a wrestler in a Mexican mask it is a pepper that was created because there was a need for the perfect pepper for jalapeno poppers. Until I read this article I was a little afraid of genetically altered foods, however after this lovely creation I may be jumping on the bandwagon. This is just friggin hysterical!

And since I am on the topic of chile peppers here are a few random things you might not have known:

 -There is a Chile Pepper Institute in New Mexico...yes they study chile peppers and they have statistics and a web page

-There are 26 species of chile peppers...I don't know if the JALMUNDO is included in that stat or if its actually now #27

-Hot chile peppers burn calories because they speed up the metabolism...just imagine what a JALMUNDO could do...I will be Kate Moss skinny is no time and when people ask my secret I will be like "oh I just ate 12 poppers with cream cheese. No, I don't work out its just my metabolism."



Yesterday was truly the perfect food day. I decided to make eggplant parmesan for lunch.  I found this recipe in a Sunset magazine and I liked the fact that it was eggplant parmesan without the breading and frying. Don't get me wrong I love a good breaded eggplant and I have great childhood memories of a truly traditional eggplant parmesan made with love by my Mom but I was trying  not to overdue it especially for a lunch meal. So this recipe has you roast the eggplant slices in the oven and then brush them with olive oil and broil them. It also calls for you to make your own marinara sauce and it turned out really good as it had added flavor from red wine and a subtle spiciness from red pepper flakes which I love. So basically what you do is create an eggplant stack doing a layer of eggplant, sauce and then topping it with cheese and throwing it back in the broiler. I did learn a valuable lesson...not all plates can go in the broiler...as I did break one...took it out of the oven and put it on the counter...heard a loud noise and it was split in 2...oops...we will call it a casualty of cooking wars. The eggplant parmesan is sprinkled with crushed croutons and fresh herbs. I served it with rigatoni pasta and a Sangiovese and it was perfect! This is a great vegetarian entree!
Here is the recipe if you want to try it: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/eggplant-parmesan-50400000110384/

I also learned a valuable lesson that I thought I would pass on about eggplant. If you cut them open and they are brown and kind of soft-do not eat them! I am new to the eggplant world so I wasn't sure if it was natural for it to have brown spots or not...its not natural. I had bought an eggplant last weekend when I did my weekly grocery shopping and when I cut it open yesterday it had brown spots. So I googled whether or not you could eat eggplant that was brown and it said NO...guess its a chemical reaction that causes eggplant to turn brown when it goes bad and it can inflame your intestines...so eggplant should be a creamy beige color not brown. Just a little tip.



Last night we were going out to celebrate a friends bday so I decided to make a Kahlua Cake for dessert. This is truly the easiest cake recipe I have ever made as you put all of the ingredients in one bowl, mix it, put it in the pan and bake it. It makes the house smell like heaven and when you cover it with a kahlua/powdered sugar glaze it makes for a super moist and yummy cake. It is dusted in powdered sugar right before serving. Thanks Laura for turning me on to this recipe. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/KAHLUA-CAKE-1253495



Finally, dinner was at Mastro's and if you haven't been to this restaurant you must go! http://www.mastrosrestaurants.com/ It is probably one of the best restaurants in Ventura County! However, you do have to put your fear of calories and fat aside. It is a great restaurant to order a smattering of options and share...especially love the fact that the plates are hot and keep your food warm as you eat. I have been to this restaurant 3 times and there hasn't been anything that I have tried that I haven't liked. Their fish and their steaks are the highest quality and always cooked to perfection. The service is impeccable and they truly know their food. I love oysters rockefeller and they have the best I have ever had...and I have had a lot because I order them whenever I see them on the menu and my husband actually makes them...thank god for Playboy...he found the recipe in that magazine...finally a man who actually does read the articles. I am sure that is all he does is read the articles.  Last night we had the sauteed sea scallop appetizer and I wanted to drink the sauce, but the restaurant was just way too classy for that. My best friend doesn't even like scallopes and she thought these were too die for! We also tried the lobster and it was amazing. I had never had lobster claw meat and it just melted in your mouth! Definitely recommend this restaurant for any special occasion!

So today I am recovering now from a self induced food coma and I am off to the gym to try and counteract the damage I did yesterday. But some truly amazing food and I hope you enjoy it all as much as I did. Have a great Labor Day Weekend and I plan on tackling my first Chinese recipe tomorrow...wish me luck!







2 comments:

  1. OMG, you are too cool. Love the funny part about your husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinner was amazing! Thanks so much for the cake. Going to have it after rib eye tonight! Wish I had me some of them scallops!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews