Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Food Allegiance

 So as my blog progresses people have started to share their own food stories and experiences with me. I have quickly learned just how much people care and obsess about the food they eat and love. This particular story struck me as one that truly needed to be shared just due to the diligence, passion and determination this individual has demonstrated in trying to bring back a product that she has loved for years. To protect the identity of the innocent we will call the individual in this story Danita (last name withheld to protect her identity). She sent me an email that she sent to Lowry's this week as they discontinued their beef strogonoff seasoning. They kindly responded with their condolences for her loss, however they did not offer to bring the product back or provide her with any alternatives.  I was just so impressed by the depth of her emotion that I decided to share a segment of her email to me:

Today, I had one of my worst fears confirmed. Lawry's Beef Stroganoff Seasoning Mix no longer exists. Yes, it's true. No......longer.....exists. Gone. Finito. No mas. Arrivederci. It appears as though McCormick has purchased part or all of Lawry's product line and someone made the decision somewhere to discontinue this product. Of all products. This one?
What were they thinking? Are they not aware of the perils of improper meat dusting when attempting to create this dish from scratch? The ridicule one suffers at the hands of "friends" when presenting said dish at the company Christmas dinner potluck? The potentially devastating impact this can have on even the happiest marriage? To quote my husband, "This signals the fall of western civilization". And the demise of the one dish that I had mastered and my husband thoroughly enjoyed. Things will never be the same...

I am sure you can all read the anguish and sadness in the words that this so called Danita wrote. The depth of her despair is evident to us all and I so appreciate her sharing her raw emotions and vulnerability with us all. This made me think of those products that I love and take for granted and how very sad I would be to see their demise. Here are a few of my favorites:

1. Trader Joe's Salsa Especial
2. Paul Newmans Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
3. Novy Ranch grass fed beef
4. San Marzano Tomatoes
5. V8 Juice (not the low sodium kind I am talking the full of salt variety)

And I have no doubt that these companies totally read my blog and will heed my request for continuous manufacturing.

So I have kind of been on a mediocre food kick hence the lack of blogs. I have been cooking but I just haven't been super impressed with what I am making. So tonight I decided to make Chocolate Mousse and I seriously had visions of this super rich, thick and decadent mousse. Ok yeah no. Its yummy but its kind of more light and airy than I envisioned. I love chocolate mousse that is so thick you almost have to cut it like a fork and so rich that you have 2 bites and you are ready to enter a chocolate coma. Ok so if you like that kind of chocolate mousse this is not the recipe for you. However, if you are looking for a light, not too sweet and airy chocolate mousse you are in luck...this would especially be good at the end of a summer bbq with a glass of pinot or maybe a bottle.

And yes isn't the picture funny...doesn't look appetizing at all does it? I thought oh that would be cute I can put it in wine glasses...hmm bad idea its hard to get the mousse through the little hole in wine glasses and it looks like a pile of poop once its in the wine glasses...just saying.

But if you are interested in trying this recipe I do have to say its super easy!!!

Chocolate Mousse

1 tsp unflavored gelatin ***I have a ton if you want a packet because you have to buy a box and the box has like 8 packets in it ***
1 T cold water **yeah I have a ton of that too but I am sure you have your own unless you are making this recipe in Namibia ***
2 T boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder *** I have a ton of this as I always think I am out and I keep buying it ***
1 cup cold whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract *** has anyone else noticed that vanilla smells like heaven on earth but if you put it in your mouth straight its nasty ***

In small cup, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 2 minutes to soften gelatin. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved and mixture is clear. Cool slightly. In small mixer bowl, stir together sugar and cocoa. Add whipping cream and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bottom of bowl occasionally, until mixture is stiff. ***Don't forget to use the whisk attachment as it goes much faster *** Add gelatin mixture; beat until well blended. Spoon into serving dishes. Refrigerate about 30 min before serving. Garnish as desired; refrigerate leftover deserts.
*** This recipe says it makes 4 servings but what you see in those 2 wine glasses is all I got out of this recipe. You be the judge. ***

1 comment:

  1. That was funny, only because I know who you are speaking of. I hope you can help her with a recipe to fill the void.

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews