Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, October 8, 2011

Surf N Turf

So last night I decided to have some friends over for dinner and I figured what could be better than Surf N  Turf. Did you know that Surf N Turf has been around since 1962? It was served at the Sky City Restaurant in Seattle for the Worlds Fair and it just means that its meat and fish, usually lobster or shrimp. Thought you all might need a random fact to kick off your weekend.

 And I think the meal was a hit as I got a text this morning that said,"...thanks for the yummy sinner." Yes, my text did say "sinner" however I was hoping it was a typo because although I had a few glasses of wine last night I am pretty sure I didn't do anything too crazy to overshadow the meal. But....I could be wrong.

Anyway back to the food I found a recipe for Steak and Shrimp with Parsley Potatoes on the Martha Stewart web page. It sounded easy enough and it wasn't so time consuming that I would spend the entire evening in the kitchen while everyone else gets their buzz on. The only drawback to this recipe is that it was made to only serve 2 so I did have to double the recipe and if you don't like math this is not the recipe for you. And oh wait I thought of one other drawback if you are trying to be healthy and not eat too much butter this is also not the recipe for you.

So you start by cooking the steak until the desired doneness and then you add some butter to the pan and once it gets frothy you spoon the butter over the steak. Yum! Then you tent the steak and for those of you who don't know what tenting is its a great technique to keep steak warm and also to cook it a little extra and keep in the flavor. However, if you are planning on tenting it take it out of the pain a little bit before it gets to the desired doneness otherwise it will be over cooked when you serve it. And remember to always make sure your steak is at room temperature prior to cooking so that it cooks more evenly...yes I know there is some controversy over this theory but it has really worked for me so I am sticking to it.

Then you saute the shrimp in butter until done, adding parsley, salt and pepper. Its almost like a shrimp scampi...minus the garlic...actually now that I think about it I should have added some garlic that would have been good too.

The potatoes were really good too. They are just quartered red potatoes that were boiled until tender. Again they are then just sauteed in butter and more parsley was added to them. I served the meal with some steamed asparagus, homemade balsamic/onion bread and a bottle of Opolo Rhapsody red wine.

Hope you have another fun weekend filled with good food, wine and friends. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews