Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Culinary School #14-Eggs

So let me start with an apology as there is no blog entitled "Culinary School #13," as I did not make it to last weeks class. I missed salad night y'all and I am very sorry if I disappointed you. I do have the recipes, however, so if we want to do a class #13 of our own we can. However, I came back with a vengeance last night, on egg night, and I do have to say that I think I made it a memorable night for all.

Let me start with the most valuable lesson. We had to make a fried egg and we had to flip it. Well I have never been one of those girls that could flick her ingredients around a pan with the slight movement of her wrist and last night proved to be no different. We were supposed to break the egg in the pan, flick the pan and flip the egg to the other side and finish cooking it. Well I learned that when you flick your egg it is not supposed to go air born as it tends to break, it is hard to catch and it pretty much makes a giant disaster. Voila!!


The assistant instructor was pretty much crying she was laughing so hard...so I consider it a success. My second attempt was a tad bit better, but I still definitely have room for improvement.


Last night was seriously a fun night for kitchen tools. I learned about a cherry pit remover. I have never been a cherry fan, primarily because of the pits and so this little tool could make me a believer. Plus it was easy and fun to use.


The cherries were then made into a Cherry Clafouti:


I also discovered this cool tool that removes the skin from the garlic cloves. Just put the garlic clove in this contraption, roll it around and voila no more skin. Yes, I know it kind of looks like a water weanie or a sex toy, but I promise you it is neither, well at least we didn't use it as such last night. I guess I shouldn't make promises I can't keep.


The third fun kitchen tool was this egg cracker. You put this on top of the egg, lift the handle and let it go with a bit of power and it cracks the top of an egg, allowing you to use a knife to take the top of the egg off.


You dump the egg and you have a little egg cup.



We stuffed them with scrambled eggs, whipped cream and caviar. On a side not LP you have spoiled me, this caviar just wasn't the same and there was no champagne, beautiful indoor garden and well it just paled in comparison to our experience.


Now let me share with you some fun egg info I learned:


  • To tell the difference between a hard boiled egg and a raw egg, spin it. The hard boiled egg will spin.
  • When you are making eggs for an omelet you should not use a whisk as it adds to much air. You should use a fork.
  • Eggs should always be at room temperature when they are cooked. You do not want to add a cold substance to a hot pan.

  • The higher the yolk the fresher the egg. See how the egg above is elevated over the white, that is a fresh egg. 
My omelet looks like a banana slug
We also had the pleasure of each attempting to make an omelet and Hollandaise sauce. 


In the past I have used a blender to make Hollandaise sauce, but we had to do it by hand. Let me just say it takes a lot of whisking! This is the method we used, putting the bowl over a pan of hot water and then taking it off, whisking continuously.


 My first batch broke, but the second batch came out perfect!

Eggs Benedict
Last night the recipe I was responsible for was the Eggs Jeanette A La Mere de Jacques Pepin. It is basically a deviled egg that is fried and served with a dijon mustard sauce. Dear God this recipe was heaven! Legend has it that this recipe was created by Jacques Pepin's Mom, but I will be honest I don't care who created it...this was yummy! 


We also made cheese souffles. They were beautiful and my culinary school buddy described them as tasting like light and fluffy Cheez-its...love that!


All and all it was a fun class. Next week is appetizers! Cheers! And Mom if you are reading this we learned that if you use a little cornstarch it makes phyllo dough easier to use. When I was a kid my Mom would have temper tantrums while making Spanokapita with phyllo dough. XOXO Love you Mom!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews