Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, June 1, 2013

Easy Yummy Oven Fried Chicken

So for some strange reason I have found that since most of the time I am cooking only for myself I tend to go in more of a vegetarian direction. Kind of weird, right? There isn't same single girl manual that says,"when cooking for one only cook vegetables," however that seems to be the kick I am on. I do find that vegetables have a greater shelf life which is helpful because when you are cooking for one you have leftovers for days. But tonight I decided to make oven fried chicken. This used to be something I made on a regular basis, however I haven't had it for years.



I found this great recipe in Cooking Light that breads the chicken in panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, walnuts and rosemary, so I decided to give it a try. It is super easy, very flavorful, incredibly moist and just a great dish overall.

First you dip the chicken cutlets in buttermilk and Dijon mustard. I did experiment with a few different types of mustard, such as a sweet hot mustard, a Dijon and a coarse ground mustard (not all together on different pieces of chicken). All of them added nice flavor to the chicken and worked well.

Next toast the bread crumbs in a pan for approximately 3 minutes. Although the recipe doesn't say to toast the walnuts, I think next time I would probably toss them in the pan as well to give them a nice toasty flavor. I think this recipe would also be great if you used almonds or pecans.


Mix the bread crumbs, Parmesan, rosemary, salt, pepper and walnuts in a bowl. Take the chicken from the buttermilk mixture and dip it on both sides in the bread crumb mixture.

Now a few things you might find interesting about this recipe and it's ingredients:

  • Did you know that buttermilk is often used in fried chicken recipes to help tenderize the chicken and also to help the bread crumb mixture to stick to the chicken?
  • Did you know that Panko is the Japanese word for bread crumbs?
  • Panko bread crumbs are made with bread, sans the crust. 
  • Panko bread crumbs are also known for their crispier and crunchier texture, this is due to the fact that they are shaped in flakes rather than true crumbs.
  • Panko bread crumbs are lighter in texture as the grease doesn't soak into them like regular bread crumbs. 

Back to the recipe. Place the chicken breasts on a rack coated in cooking spray, that is on top of a baking sheet. This is the first time I used this baking technique and I loved it. Since the chicken is raised the chicken cooks more evenly. It also lowers the fat as the chicken doesn't sit in it's own fat as it cooks. And finally it keeps the chicken/bread crumbs from getting soggy as it is removed from the fat. Loved this and will definitely cook chicken like this again!!

Here is the recipe for your cooking and dining pleasure:



1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 (6-ounce) chicken cutlets
1/3 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
3/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
Rosemary leaves (optional)
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 425°.
2. Combine buttermilk and mustard in a shallow dish, stirring with a whisk. Add chicken to buttermilk mixture, turning to coat.
3. Heat a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add panko to pan; cook 3 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Combine panko, nuts, and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a shallow dish. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture; discard buttermilk mixture. Dredge chicken in panko mixture.
4. Arrange a wire rack on a large baking sheet; coat rack with cooking spray. Arrange chicken on rack; coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 13 minutes or until chicken is done. Garnish with rosemary leaves, if desired.

Overall, I was super happy with this recipe. Sure I would have added more salt and maybe even some garlic powder, but those are minor recipe tweaks that can be done easily and effortlessly. As many of you know I don't make most recipes a second time, however this one may be seen again, especially on some long day after work/gym, when I just need easy comfort food.  Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews