Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Boccaperta-Linguaglossa, Italy



Sicily has an amazing food scene. I have to admit that I had some preconceived notions going into this trip as I pictured every restaurant to be a small, Italian, dark, wood paneled restaurant with an accordion player. Ya know something straight out of Lady and the Tramp. However, I have to say that the Sicilian food scene was actually quite modern and quite diverse and I could have easily found anything from sushi to McDonalds, if I so desired. However, what I was really looking for was a feeling...ya know that feeling when you walk into a place and you just feel at home and that is what I found at Boccaperta.

Boccaperta, which means "open mouth," is a small family run restaurant in Linguaglossa. It is a husband and wife team, Rosario and Cetty, who are in both the kitchen and the front of the house. They are both so warm and welcoming and they are committed to creating a fresh and local menu that reflects both regional and seasonal ingredients.



 The restaurant also has a wine list that specializes in local wines that are produced in the Mt Etna wine region. It was at this restaurant that I learned about the volcanic elements in the local wines and I also learned that for red wine produced in this area you want it to be at least 2 years old. I also have to say that they allowed me to taste an Italian rosato which made my day as I had been trying to find a rose varietal throughout this trip. All of the wines we tasted were excellent and had very unique flavors.


Our meal started with an incredible antipasto. This was my first time trying baked ricotta, which is a slice of heaven. The ricotta is a much smoother consistency than we are use to in the states and in the US when we think of baked ricotta we think of an almost fondue or dip type of concoction. In Sicily it is sliced and baked giving it a contrast in textures between the outer and inner layers and it is just more firm, in general.  They served the ricotta with a cherry sauce and the contrast was out of this world. They also had stuffed zucchini, fresh meats, olives, sauteed greens and a variety of cheeses. I was seriously so happy I could scream!


The second course consisted of a fava bean minestrone type of soup. And although this was probably the simplest dish I had during my 12 day stint in Sicily it was truly one of the highlights for me. The flavors popped and every ingredient was so fresh and created an individual celebration that danced within the soup. I had never had fava beans before and I have to admit I was slightly afraid since I hate lima beans, but they are subtle and almost remind me of a large cannellini bean. The soup also had a hint of fennel which added a nice herbaceous contrast and the pasta was cooked perfectly. I also fell in love with the fact that they drizzled fresh olive oil over the top of the soup so it had a pungent and fresh olive finish in every bite. This is definitely a tip that I am going to steal and I plan on doing this every time I make soup in the future.


This restaurant was definitely one of my favorites. The owners provided an explanation before everything we ate or drank. They were passionate about what they did and you could truly tell that everything they served was made with love. If you are ever in the area definitely check it out: http://www.ristoranteboccaperta.com/about_us.htm








0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews