Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Top 10 Things I Miss About Being a Kid & Tortilla Soup


So let me just say I have a summer cold and it makes me grumpy and it never fails that when I am sick all I want is my Mom. And this is the way my train of thought works...from having a cold to wanting my Mom to thinking about being a kid...so....The Top 10 Things I Miss About Being a Kid:














1. I have to make my own soup when I am sick. Sure I made some kick ass tortilla soup last night (hence this blog), but I really do miss the good 'ol days when Mom made the soup and served it to me on a TV tray.

2. Blanket forts! I love those forts that you built as a kid using the kitchen table, chairs, couch and every blanket in the house. Ya know the kind that you would hide in for hours and think you had your own mansion. Now if I tried to do that I would find myself on a fun little field trip to County Mental Health...not so handy!!

3. Being able to use my imagination....when I was a kid I had an amazing imagination and I would always suck people into my play games. For example, there was a period of time when I was probably around 4 that I truly believed I was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz and I conducted my life accordingly...ruby red slippers and all.  I also demanded that all of my family played along with me. If I tried to pull those shenanigans today I would be unemployed. However, the thought of showing up to work in an Alice of Wonderland costume does make me chuckle.

4. Speaking of ruby red slippers...I also miss how inexpensive kids clothes and shoes are...I spend so much money on heels and designer jeans and just cute clothes...dang those kids have it made.

5. I miss summer vacation, spring break, Christmas vacation, etc. I totally miss having 2-3 months off during the summer months so I could sleep in, go on vacation and hang out by the pool. I also miss having 3 weeks of for the holidays and a week for Easter. Now if I can just figure out how to talk my employer into this practice.

6. I miss getting out of school at 3pm. I think that is the perfect time of day to be done with any and all responsibilities....especially since that is normally about the time that I want a cocktail.

7. I believed in Santa...and I wasn't creeped out by the idea that a chubby guy in a red suit was going to come down my chimney and bring me gifts...today I look back and I am a little concerned about this practice and in my profession we call this a "hot prowl."

8. Working out consisted of "keep away," ballet and "duck duck goose," and it was called recess and fun...I didn't go through daily torture in the form of 6 mile runs, boot camp, weight lifting or working out to the point of exhaustion in order to keep my dispatch ass in check.

9. I had a maid aka. my Mom....dang I hate picking up my toys, clothes and shoes...and I didn't appreciate how spoiled I was by my Mom as a kid...my Mom did everything and she was awesome like that!!

10. Looking like a dork was ok...we all went through awkward phases as a kid whether it was my bad hair cut phase or my no hair, BIG cheeks and BIG eyes phase, it was just ok. Now if I get a bad haircut or my pants are too short or I leave the house looking like a transient it is a bad thing.


Ok back to Tortilla Soup. So this is a vegetarian tortilla soup recipe that I found on one of my favorite blogs-Joy the Baker. If you don't follow her blog you should! She is an amazing photographer, she is funny and I have loved every recipe of hers that I have tried, this one included. http://joythebaker.com/


So to begin with fry the tortilla strips in olive oil. Good luck trying not to each all of the tortilla strips...yup that was my biggest challenge.


Next saute the onion in the olive oil, once you remove and eat the tortilla strips of course. Saute until soft and then add the garlic.


Add the spices, which truly make this soup something amazing. The combination of the cumin, coriander, chili powder (I used chipotle chile powder), cayenne pepper and paprika (I used smoked paprika) really adds incredible flavor and depth to this soup!


Next add the crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth. I do not own an immersion blender. Yes, I know the one kitchen accoutrement not in my possession, so I took the soup out of the pot and blended it the old fashioned way. And it works just fine!


Return the soup mixture to the pot and add the canned black beans, the yellow pepper and jalapeno and simmer for 20 minutes.


After the soup has cooked add toppings until your hearts desire is fulfilled...these are also awesome...and fun to snack on! Voila! This soup is comforting, spicy (so even if you have a cold you can taste it), has a lot of great flavor and is just down right fun. Cheers!


Here is the actual recipe if you want actual measurements:

Spicy Vegetarian Tortilla Soup

makes 4 generous servings
adapted from Food and Wine

6 tablespoons olive oil
5 corn tortillas, stacked and sliced into small strips
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, juice and all
4 cups vegetable broth
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, depending on your taste
fresh cracked black pepper
1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into small chunks or fresh corn sliced from 2 ears of corn
1 small jalapeño, seeds and ribs removed and thinly sliced

For the Topping:
corn tortillas (fried above)
4 radishes, thinly sliced
fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
ripe avocado, sliced
sharp cheddar cheese, grated
sour cream

In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Add the tortilla strips in two batches, flipping and frying until crisp.  Drain crisp strips on a paper towel and set aside.

Reduce the heat to medium heat and add onions.  Cook until translucent and just browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.  Add paprika, cumin, coriander, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.  Stir and cook for 1 minute more.

Add the crushed tomatoes, juice and all.  Stir to combine.  Add the chicken broth, salt, and a good sprinkling of black pepper.  Use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until halfway to smooth.  If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can carefully spoon the mixture into a blender to blend until smooth.  Return back to the pot (if using  conventional blender) and heat over low heat.

Add beans, bell pepper (or corn), and jalapeño and lightly simmer until bell pepper is softened, about 20 minutes.

To serve, spoon into bowls and top with fried tortilla strips, slice radish, fresh cilantro sprigs, a sprinkling of cheddar cheese, a few slices of avocado, and sour cream.

Soup will last, in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days.



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews