Powered by Blogger.
Friday, August 1, 2014

The Simple Things...Like Strawberry Oatmeal Bars

I am pretty sure that my name and "simple" have never been used in the same sentence. There are a lot of words to describe me, but "simple" is not one of them. However, I do have to say that at times I really love the simple things in life. And as many of you know I love to bake, however if I ate everything I made I would be as big as a house...so I also love to bring it to work to share. Last week I made Strawberry Oatmeal Bars which were seriously one of the easiest recipes on the planet and they were a hit! I single handedly ruined one persons diet, received a marriage proposal, two requests for the recipe and several declarations of love. I call that a successful day!!

And all jokes aside these Strawberry Oatmeal Bars are too die for! They are buttery and nutty and fruity and chewy and messy and just a little slice of heaven. They are also the creation of one of my other favorite food bloggers-Pass the Sushi!  Great recipes, easy to read and fun! Check her out!

So back to the recipe and also a recap of some of my favorite simple things. Simple Thing #1-Butter
I love butter! The taste of butter makes me want to squeal and the sight of butter makes me quiver with delight. For this recipe cut cold butter into 1/4" pieces.


Add the butter to the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Which leads me to Simple Thing #2-Sand-well more specifically the beach. I love the beach, I love the ocean and I love sand. And this brown sugar reminded me of a mini-sand castle...don't ask...yes of course I was drinking wine while baking...hence my impressionistic interpretation of brown sugar. 


Combine the mixture until it is crumbly in texture. 


Press half of the butter mixture onto the bottom of a 9x13 pan that is lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray. This is a very important step because these bars are very chewy and without the parchment paper and spray you will look like a WWF wrestler trying to get these bars out of the pan. No judgment just a warning. 



Spread the strawberry jam over the butter mixture. Be gentle because otherwise you will moosh (yes, that is a technical term) the jam into the butter/oat mixture and the outcome will not be pretty. And yes I know this picture is blurry, but you see Simple Thing #3-Wine...I love wine and since I was drinking wine while baking I also thought this picture was in focus at the time I took it...um yeah! But all joking aside wine is truly the nectar of the gods. 


Add the second half of the butter mixture over the jam. Yes, it will look a little bit like kitty litter, but I promise when it comes out of the oven it will not have the same appearance. Simple Thing #4-My Kitty...Miss Kitty is the cutest squished face cat on the planet!


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes and voila!


Which leads me to Simple Thing #5-Food...food makes me happy...I love all food...I love cooking food...I love eating food...I love reading about food...I love talking about food...FOOD!!

Here is the actual recipe:


Ingredients

1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/4" pieces
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teas baking powder
1/2 teas salt
One 10 to 12 oz jar strawberry preserves

Preparation

Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper and grease and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Meanwhile, mix the butter, flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt together with your fingertips until crumbly.

Press half of the mixture into the prepared baking dish and cover with the strawberry preserves.

With your hands for small patties out of the remaining batter and press onto the strawberry preserves. Don't worry about perfection.

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until top is golden and batter cooked through.

Cool completely before slicing and serving.

Cheers and Happy Friday!



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews