Powered by Blogger.
Monday, November 3, 2014

Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Soup and the Crazy Things We Do on Planes

Have you ever seriously contemplated the crazy things we do on planes or in preparation to get on planes? We do things that in every day life we would never consider ok, yet because we are in an airport all of a sudden it is completely normal. Let me give you a few examples and let's just examine this behavior for a second.

Things People Do on Airplanes That They Can't Do Anywhere Else:

1. Fall asleep on a strangers shoulder...we live in a society in which we are completely afraid to hug our neighbor, totally paranoid of germs and phobic of pretty much all human contact...however put us on a plane and we are practically sitting on the laps of strangers. Creepy!

2. Cram ourselves into furniture that is too small for our ass...is there anyway other than an airplane that we take body parts and shove them into a seat that is meant to fit a kindergartner? And we stay there wedged into that chair for hours on end...pretending to be comfortable. On a side note, have you ever noticed that the high school wrestler always gets the middle seat? WTH?

3. Get excited over peanuts and a 1/4 cup of Coca Cola...I don't drink Coke or eat peanuts anywhere except a plane, however you see peoples ears perk up and their eyes get wide as soon as they see the beverage cart. Come on sweetie it is tomato juice and not champagne and caviar.

4. Shove small animals under seats...in every day life this is called animal abuse...on a plane this activity is considered to be totally normal.

5. Play suitcase Jenga...every passenger takes the larges suitcase they own and calls it a "carry on," in order to save themselves $25 and then they try to shove it into a small compartment above their head, nearly knocking out the Grandma sitting underneath the luggage bin...and this is ok.

6. Tell strangers their life story...this is an airplane and not an AA meeting, however it never fails that if you make eye contact with the person sitting next to you, you fall victim to their life story. I know more about people I have traveled with than I do about my own family.

7. Pay $5 for the ickiest and smallest cocktail on the planet...I have had the world's most horrific cocktails on a plane, including the crappiest wine, yet it doesn't stop me from ordering them.

8. Think the Skymall is cool...why do we have to be on a plane to shop...for the strangest things on the planet? Why? I have nothing else to say on this topic

9. Fight over seats and boarding positions...we pay extra for seats...that are all on the exact same plane. We pay extra...for seats...that give us 6 extra inches. We sit on a computer and watch the seconds tick down...to get a boarding pass... with a letter and a #...to determine when we get to get on "said" plane. Really?

10. We pee in a closet...that smells disgusting...and is creepy...and gross...and did I mention gross?

Ok back to cooking...I am off my soap box...for now.





So I am on a slow cooker kick. Yesterday I made BBQ Chicken Soup in the slow cooker and it has good smokey flavor, but to be honest if I made this recipe again I may cut back on the bbq sauce...just a lil bit...cause it is pretty smokey. However, overall I really like the concept of this soup and I love the chicken. How can you beat putting chicken breasts in a crock pot for 6 hours only for it to shred with the slightest touch? I do have to say that the chicken does remind me a little bit of pulled pork and I honestly may actually like this soup better with less broth and just the chicken meat on a bun with bbq sauce...hmmm just a thought. Anyway I digress....


So to make the soup, throw the chicken breast, onion and garlic into the slow cooker.

Cover with canned corn and canned white beans.


In a bowl combine the chicken broth and bbq sauce. Cover the chicken mixture with the broth, salt and pepper and cook on low for 6 hours. Yeah, I know, doesn't get much easier than this, right?


Take the chicken out and shred with two forks...so easy it is scary!! Cook for another 30 minutes.


Serve the soup with shredded chicken. Voila! I do have to say that this soup makes the house smell absolutely incredible!!

2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
1/3 cup diced onion
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 can (15.25 oz) Green Giant™ SteamCrisp™ Southwestern style corn (corn with peppers)
1 can (15.5 oz) white beans, drained, rinsed
5 cups Progresso™ chicken broth (from two 32-oz cartons)
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Shredded Cheddar cheese, if desired

Directions

1.In 6-quart slow cooker, add chicken breast, onion, garlic, corn and white beans.
2.In large bowl, mix broth, barbecue sauce salt and pepper. Pour into slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 hours.
3.Remove chicken breast from slow cooker, and shred using two forks. Place back into slow cooker. Cover; cook 30 minutes.
4.Serve soup topped with shredded cheese.

Cheers my friends and I although I am totally bagging on plane travel I am back up in the air on Friday...to go wine tasting in Northern Michigan...stay tuned!!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews