Powered by Blogger.
Monday, November 17, 2014

Slow Cooker Bread...Not My Biggest Kitchen Success

I now know how hockey pucks are made. I saw a post this week by another food blogger about how to make homemade bread in the slow cooker and it peaked my interest. How could it not, right? I had visions of coming home to the smell of freshly baked bread like the bread my Mom made when I was a kid. I had visions of crusty fresh warm bread and melted butter dancing through my head. And I was thrilled by the thought of all of this without hours of slaving in the kitchen, without the patience required to watch bread rise and without the agony of defeat. I, however, tend to be a tad bit of an optimist and this just so happened to be one of those times. 




Don't get me wrong, the recipe was easy enough. What could be easier than throwing 5 ingredients in a bowl and stirring, right?

1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Yes, I know this looks like a bad science experiment

So I was pretty successful with this portion of the recipe. 

Now for the crock pot portion of the recipe:

Directions

Shape your loaf of bread: Shape your loaf into a round or a loaf depending on the size of your slow cooker and/or what kind of loaf you'd like to make. Set the shaped dough on a square of parchment paper. (If you're baking the bread in a pan, there's no need to use parchment.) I was pretty excited by the fact that I cut the parchment paper to match the size of my crock pot, especially since as many of you know I hate parchment paper and it is one of my kitchen enemies. 


Lift it into the slow cooker: Lift the loaf by the parchment and set it in the middle of the slow cooker. Try to arrange flatten the parchment as much as possible against the sides of the slow cooker to prevent it from getting caught in the bread as it rises. Cover the slow cooker with its lid. Pre-Baking Rise?You do not need to let your bread rise before baking. However, if your bread dough has been in the refrigerator, letting it warm a bit on the counter can reduce the overall cooking time.

Set the slow cooker to HIGH: Turn on your slow cooker to the highest heat setting (or quickest time setting). This step also went pretty well and I was thrilled by the fact that I didn't have to watch my bread rise and do other stuff to it in between. 

Bake for 1 to 2 1/2 hours: Baking time will vary depending on your slow cooker. If this is your first time baking bread in your slow cooker, begin checking the loaf after 1 hour, then every 30 minutes, and then more frequently as it nears finishing. Record this baking time for future reference.
Checking the internal temperature of the loaf is the best way to tell when it is done baking; a finished loaf will have an internal temperature of 190°F to 200°F. The top will also feel soft but no longer spongy, and the bottom will be hard and slightly golden. I also did a good job of watching it cook in the crockpot or should I say watching reality TV as it cooked. 


Brown the loaf under the broiler: If a darker-colored, crustier loaf is desired, set the loaf on a rack positioned in the middle of the oven and turn on the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes. Check frequently to avoid burning the loaf. And yes I even browned the top of bread in the broiler because it was a little lackluster in color when I took it out of the crockpot. 

Cool and slice: Let the loaf cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
It was this step that I felt the wind come out of my sales. My bread had grown slightly in size, but it was still flat. It had a nice brown coloring to it, but dang it was dense. And the flavor was ok, but it did kind of remind me a little bit of sucking on play dough as a kid, just a little too salty and for once I didn't add extra salt and a slightly strange consistency. 

At the end of the day I just have to say it was a cool idea, but it didn't give me the thrill of homemade bread or fresh baguettes from Sicily or even the smell of bread coming out of the oven at Albertsons. But if you are short on cash and you need some easy and cheap hockey pucks, well, just fire up the slow cooker and this recipe is a winner, as for bread, this was kind of an epic fail. 


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews