Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, March 1, 2015

Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Cumin

So let me first and foremost apologize for my writing absence. I have been going through it and often when I am in the throes of self discovery, grief or heartache I just need to hibernate...and so that is what I did. However, my heart is telling me that it is time to get back on the blogging bandwagon and start cooking and writing again because that is what I love and so here I am.




I started slow today. I decided not to pull out my Julia Child's tome on French cooking and conquer the traditional world of true chef-dome (yes, that is a real word). Instead I decided to make Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Cumin. Soup is my comfort food and using my immersion blender makes me happy so I thought of this was a win/win. This was a recipe that wasn't going to take all day and wasn't so technical that I would end up in a puddle of tears sobbing and rocking on the kitchen floor...that is never a good thing even during good times.


To start with roast a head of cauliflower. Toss the cauliflower with cumin seeds, curry powder and oil. The color is gorgeous and it makes the house smell like a far away land. Love it!! Roast for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.

Next sauté the onion in a tablespoon of oil for 5 minutes. Add the roasted cauliflower, 4 cups of water, bay leaf and butter and bring to a simmer. Cook covered for 15 minutes.


The recipe then instructs you to put the mixture in a blender, however I am looking for every and any excuse to use my immersion blender and that is what I did. It worked really well and I can't even tell you how many injuries my immersion blender has saved me from-facial burns (ya know from the traditional blender exploding with hot ingredients) and chopped off fingers (from sticking my fingers next to the blender blade)...just to name a few.


Next add 1/4 cup whole milk and heat the mixture. Voila!! Doesn't get much easier, ay?


Here is the actual recipe from Food and Wine Magazine:

1 medium head of cauliflower (1 1/2 pounds)—halved, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch florets
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 cup sunflower or grapeseed oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
1/4 cup whole milk

Preheat the oven to 375º. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the cauliflower with the cumin seeds, curry powder and 3 tablespoons of the oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 25 minutes, turning occasionally, until the cauliflower is just tender.

In a large saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the roasted cauliflower, butter, bay leaf and water and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat until the liquid is reduced and the cauliflower is very soft, about 15 minutes. Pick out and discard the bay leaf.
In a blender, puree the soup in two batches until very smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the milk. Rewarm it over moderate heat, adding more water for a thinner consistency, if desired. Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve hot.

This soup has a lot of good flavor from the curry and roasted cumin seeds. The texture is creamy from the whole milk and cauliflower and it is hearty and comforting without being a gut bomb. This soup would be incredible with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.

I also just want to end this blog with a dedication. I lost a dear friend a few months ago...I can hardly believe it has been a few months...and she was the biggest supporter and lover of my blog. So I want to give a shout out to Jana Cochrane, my blog angel, because I know she is up there looking down at me when I am in the kitchen...often laughing and making fun of me, but there all the same. Cheers to Jana!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews