Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, March 21, 2015

Transformation-From Runner to Bodybuilder


So as many of you know I have been going through it, which prompted me to crave a new goal, a new challenge, a new transformation of sorts. I have been a serious runner for nearly 10 years now and don't get me wrong I love it. Running is my sanctuary, my escape, my zen, my stress release and well my comfort zone. About three weeks ago I was inspired to reach out to an amazing woman I know who competes in bodybuilding competitions. I have known her for a long time and I have watched her blossom, ok sure she has a banging hot body, but I also watched her grow up, find her strength, her power and her passion. We met for coffee and I told her my story and my desire for transformation, in all aspects of my life. We started training together two weeks ago...and I decided to write about my journey.

To begin with, for those of you who know me you know that this goal is so far from who I am that it is crazy. For those of you who don't know me, let me just say that I am not one to flaunt my body, I have always stayed in shape for myself and not for others, I am not a diva and although I like to look good that is not my only measure of success. Let me also say that I love food and wine and a bodybuilders diet is a huge challenge for me. And one final note, posting the pictures you see in this blog is by far the scariest thing I have ever done.

So here I am approximately two and a half weeks into this adventure. I am only allowed to run short distances and I am pretty sure I am going to be cut off from that soon, so I don't burn the muscle I am building. I am doing weight training 4-5 days a week and I hurt. I have discovered muscles I never knew existed and I don't know what it feels like to wake up without ouchiness (yes, that is a technical term). However, I can already see my addiction beginning, because as the pain subsides I start to wonder what is wrong and I crave more. Dang how sadistic does that sound?!

Last week I started to change my diet. I went from wine every night and yes I mean every night to no wine yet this week. I am not going to say no wine ever because that is just a downright lie, but no wine yet this week is still a huge thing for me. I went from eating healthy to a very high protein diet and yes, I am already sick of chicken. My diet primarily consists of eggs, chicken, salmon, sweet potatoes, brown rice, spinach and avocado. 


Not too bad, but definitely lacking in variety from what I am use to. Did I mention no wine? Sigh.....

I also started, as of yesterday, with my supplements. I am taking the supplements that my trainer recommends and holy hell I had no idea any of this even existed. What? You are supposed to take stuff before your workout, during your workout, after your workout, when you think about working out, when you might want to workout the next day, when you like working out, when you hate working out...ok a little exaggeration here, but you get what I am saying. This is my counter!!!


And since this is a food and wine blog here is an amazing recipe from Food and Wine Magazine for Greek Salad with Roasted Oregano Salmon:

1 tablespoon chopped oregano, plus 7 oregano sprigs
One 1 1/2-pound salmon fillet
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
2 small tomatoes, cut into wedges or large chunks
1 Kirby cucumber, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped chives
6 ounces feta cheese, sliced

Preheat the oven to 450°. Set a rack over a baking sheet and arrange the oregano sprigs in the center.


Rub the salmon all over with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the salmon skin side up on top of the oregano sprigs and roast for 12 to 15 minutes, until the salmon is just cooked through. Let cool slightly, then discard the oregano sprigs and salmon skin; break the salmon into large pieces.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the chopped oregano and lemon juice. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup of olive oil, then whisk in the olives and season with salt and pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the olive vinaigrette. 


Add the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and chives to the large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.


Transfer the salad to a platter. Top with the salmon and feta. Spoon the reserved olive vinaigrette over the salmon and serve.


Now for the hard part. Going to the gym wearing a bathing suit is weird, unless you plan on swimming of course. However, going to the gym, wearing a bathing suit because you know you are going to get photographed is even stranger. No, wait it gets worse. Going to the gym in a bathing suit, to get photographed and then locking yourself in a bathroom with your trainer to get said photos is when this shit gets really odd. So here are my before photos:






I have a runners body. I am proud of the miles it has accomplished and I am proud of its strength. Now lets see what else it can do. My goal is not to look like a man. Pure and simple I want to be cut. So we are focusing on building that butt, back and shoulders, getting my 6 pack abs and getting definition everywhere else. Let the games begin!! Thanks for being on another journey, another transformation with me. Cheers with a protein shake!!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews