Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Farmer and the Cook-Ojai, CA



Farmer and the Cook is much more than a restaurant, it is a love story, a piece of the community and a contribution to the greater good. From the outside it looks like you stepped back in time, it has a 1960's vibe with mismatched chairs and tables, bowls for dogs and canopies to shade the sun.


It truly appears to be a community meeting spot, as I watched several people show up and make the rounds amongst their friends, greeting each other at different tables. It almost reminded me of an organic and healthy Cheers, ya know the bar where everyone knows your name.




Inside looks like a restaurant/Farmers Market and I swear I felt healthy from the minute I walked in the door. The local produce from their farm is available for purchase along with other grocery staples and goods. However, if you plan on eating you can read the menu from large chalkboard menus above the counter.

The Farmer and the Cook is owned and operated by a husband-wife duo. The husband being "the farmer" and the wife being "the cook." The restaurant specializes in local and organic produce and ingredients, the majority of the fruits and vegetables being sourced from their own farm. The menu is eclectic as it has Mexican influenced items, smoothies and elixirs (I just love that word), pizza on the weekends from a wood fired pizza oven and both breakfast/lunch menu items that feature ingredients that are in season and local. The menu is also vegetarian and can easily accommodate gluten free, dairy free and food allergies. By the way, save room for dessert because they have incredible baked goods...just a warning!!


We decided to go the Mexican route and don't get me wrong I love traditional Mexican food, however it was so nice to eat it without the grease. Everything we tried was obviously homemade from the tortillas to the guacamole. There was also no doubt as to the freshness of the ingredients, they truly tasted as if they were picked from the farm and went directly into our food.


I am a guacamole fiend so when I saw chips and guacamole on the menu I had to try them and they just straight up made me happy. The chips were crisp, light and not greasy and the guacamole was flavorful and made to order.


My friends ordered the Goat Cheese and Veggie Tacos and the Swiss Chard Enchiladas. I tried the enchiladas and the sauce, which is how I rate all enchiladas, was full of flavor and had a hint of spice without being overpowering. Again, it was definitely homemade and there was just no way it came from a can. On the entrees, there was the option of cashew cheese or regular cheese, in order to accommodate all dietary restrictions.

I ordered the Sopes and they were incredible. The sope shells, which truly can be an art form, were cooked perfectly as they were crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The sopes were stuffed with beans, cheese, avocado and pico de gallo. They were fresh and healthy and light, but still filling. Plus they photograph so well!!


All of the entrees were served with brown rice, beans and a cabbage salad, which was really very tasty.

The restaurant, during the Summer months, also has live music on the weekends and truly is just a really relaxing place to chill and enjoy good food and good company. It is off the beaten path in a neighborhood that is a mix of small businesses and residences, yet it just feels like home. We truly could have sat on the patio and enjoyed the day for hours at a time...yes I obviously liked my company as well.

The restaurant is open everyday from 8am-8:30pm. It is one of those restaurants that definitely puts love into their food and it shows. It is one of those restaurants that specializes in the whole mind, body and spirit dining experience as I walked away feeling like I was nourished in every aspect of the word.  Here is the web page and I definitely recommend checking it out as you will not be disappointed. Cheers! http://www.farmerandcook.com





0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews