Powered by Blogger.
Friday, January 1, 2016

Food and Wines Lessons Learned from Travel and Overnight Mushroom Asparagus Strata

Happy New Year! I can hardly believe it is 2016!! This past year has been a crazy roller coaster of change for me and although I haven't been writing as consistently as I would have liked, this blog has continued to be one of my constants...and for that I am thankful.

 In reflecting back over the previous 365 days I realized I have learned some invaluable lessons and I thought I would take a few minutes to share them with you. I took a new job this year which has me traveling constantly and my travels have taught me quite a bit about food and wine. Here are some of my life lessons:

1. The internet does not tell you when they are sending you to a banana pudding place in the ghetto. There isn't banana pudding on the planet worth risking your life for.
2. A crack house in Georgia refers to an establishment that cracks nuts, not a location to score cocaine.
3. Sticking your finger in a dead squid to clean it is straight up disgusting.
4. Everyone claims to have the "best BBQ," however it is very subjective and anyone can have a sign made.
5. California truly makes the best wine...Sorry Georgia, Delaware, Virginia, Louisiana and Washington. And you would be surprised by how many states sell wine "native" to their state, but source their grapes from Cali. Just saying!
6. You can really buy canned creamed possum in Virginia...this shit is no joke and I couldn't bring myself to try it.
7. Every state has a meat product that "tastes like chicken," but its not.
8. No matter where you are when you eat at a restaurant near a body of water the food just tastes better.
9. If an establishment has bars on the windows you should probably not stop the car, go inside or talk to the gang members standing outside.
10. Regardless of what state you are in, when you do shots, it leads to trouble.....always!






Now if you are looking for the worlds easiest brunch recipe let me help you out. This recipe can be made the night before, stored in the fridge and baked in the morning. It is perfect for entertaining and it is low maintenance and so tasty!! I made this for Christmas morning and it was so decadent to wake up on a holiday morning, drink coffee, bake breakfast and nurse your hangover without feeling like you have to be in a frenzy to pull off a brunch for 8.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons butter, or as needed
1 3/4 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
5 English muffins, split and toasted
1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 onion, finely chopped
8 eggs
2 cups milk
 1 teaspoon salt
 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese

Directions:

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the mushrooms until their liquid has mostly evaporated and the mushrooms are beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Set the mushrooms aside.

Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish, and arrange 8 muffin halves, cut sides up, in the bottom of the dish. Stuff pieces of remaining muffins into the spaces between the halves.

Spread 1 cup of Colby-Monterey Jack cheese over the muffins in a layer, and distribute the asparagus pieces, mushrooms, red pepper, and onion over the cheese.


Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, dry mustard, and black pepper in a bowl, and pour the egg mixture over the muffins and vegetables.

Cover the dish, and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes. Spread 1 cup of Colby-Monterey Jack cheese in a layer over the casserole.

Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted near the edge comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into squares.


I hope you all have an incredible 2016 and I wish you lots of love, happiness and blessings. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews