Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, January 24, 2016

The Vista Ranch and Cellars-Merced, CA

When I was initially told I was going to Merced for 2 weeks I had a brief moment of panic, what am I going to do in Merced for 2 weeks? My panic became straight up anxiety when on the first day of teaching in Merced they asked me if I was carrying a taser. Really? Do I look like I carry a taser? They also told me not to run outside. Oh help me God I am in a place that is unsafe to run outside. However, I was bound and determined to find the slice of heaven in Merced, and I found it.



The Vista Ranch and Cellars is on the East State Highway 140, surrounded by orchards and well orchards. It is on a 2 lane highway with the railroad tracks running adjacent and you feel like you are driving to nowhere until you see the sign that says wine tasting.


I obviously went in the dead of winter and so it was getting dark as I pulled into the parking lot, however it had the cutest picnic area with lights and beautiful trees. It would be the perfect summer evening picnic spot. The tasting room itself is housed in an old farm house until you walk inside and it has a modern bar and it is light, bright and inviting. I felt like I had come home as soon as I walked in.

I talked 2 of my co-workers into going on this adventure with me, which wasn't too hard to do since we were all in Merced and they didn't have better offers. So the three of us sat down at the bar and decided to do some wine tasting. The winery has a full menu of wines to choose from-3 whites, 4 reds, a dessert wine and a sparkling wine. They allow you to pick 5 wines of your choosing and I always love wineries that allow me to make choices.


I started with the Chardonnay, which did not taste like a typical Chard. It was light with a hint of citrus and just a subtle sweetness. It was refreshing and would be a really nice wine paired with food.
I moved on to their reds and I tasted their Cab, which although it was good was a little dry for my taste. I also tasted their red blend and their Zinfandel, which were both easy to drink. I also tried their sparkling wine which was actually one of my favorites, it had the perfect balance between being dry and sweet. It could easily be sipped alone or turned into a champagne cocktail. On a side note, I also have to say I loved their labels, especially the ones that had art featuring Yosemite National Park. The Zinfandel and the sparkling wine came home with me. Don't judge I carry bubble wrap in my suitcase so I can bring wine home!

I also love tasting rooms that have things for me to look at and of course purchase, ya know the whole wine tasting a.d.d thing and this tasting room did not disappoint. It had a wonderful mix of picnic foods, local products and artwork. I bought some local handmade jam which is too die for!! However, you can easily show up here and buy cheese, meats and wine and take them outside for your picnic and truly be set for an evening.

Now I don't usually go wine tasting for the food, however we were all starving since we had just got off work and they had Portuguese style chili and panninis so we decided we needed to eat. Let me just say if you are there and they have the Portuguese style chili, order it! It was awesome! It had big chunks of sausage in it and it had the perfect amount of spice. It was amazing comfort food!! The winery has a chef who makes the menu and everyday he features a soup, everything from clam chowder to potato leek soup to chili. If you really want the chili, we learned that Thursdays are chili nights, just my food tip!

I also need to give a shout out to the staff! We completely lost track of time and the tasting room closes at 6, however they stayed open for us and continued to let us drink wine (yes we ordered glasses), eat chili and enjoy each others company. We did not feel pressured to leave and they never even brought the time to our attention which was so appreciated.


This place is definitely a hidden gem and it is worth checking out.
Here is the web page: http://vistacellars.com
Cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews