Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, January 30, 2016

Scrambled Egg Brunch Braid

If I could pick a favorite meal it would be brunch. Don't get me wrong I love them all. But brunch just about has the best of all of the meal worlds. It includes breakfast food, which can include bacon, so you can't go wrong there. It includes happy hour, aka cocktails, so that is a win. You can also throw in non-breakfast food, so technically you can eat lunch or dinner food, even though it is in the morning. Voila absolute meal perfection!


Plus it is the perfect time of day, it is not too early and not too late. Normally it is a lazy meal, and by lazy I mean that you usually linger over it with good company. And for some reason there is just something about brunch, that regardless of the day, reason or experience it just feels festive....maybe it is the whole champagne and/or bloody mary thing...which is an instant party!!! Woot woot!!

So a few weeks ago I decided to make brunch. One of my co-workers was coming over to catch up and I thought it would be the perfect excuse to drink mimosas, have some girl time and try to make a breakfast braid.

Let me start by saying I am not usually so handy with anything that requires shaping, so I was a little concerned about this whole braiding bread thing, but I figured what do I have to lose? And worse case scenario we could eat the scrambled egg stuffing and give up on the bread part. However, I was actually pretty pleased with myself...ok sure my breakfast braid looked a little bit like a mummy...but overall I was happy. And yeah I may just wait to make this again until it is Halloween and then I can claim to have done this on purpose and call it a "Scrambled Egg Brunch Mummy," which would make it a win/win.

This recipe starts with a cheat, which on a side note, I love cooking cheats!! Instead of making homemade dough you can use crescent rolls. Seriously who wants to make dough first thing in the morning? Lets see I can either be lazy on the couch and drink coffee before I entertain or I can make dough....the answer is obvious...coffee!!

Unroll the crescent rolls. You will need two cans of them. Press the perforations together, creating a giant rectangle.

Sprinkle the chopped ham down the center of the dough.

In a bowl, whisk together the softened cream cheese, milk, eggs, salt and pepper. Add the chopped bell pepper and green onions.


Cook the egg mixture, scrambling until set. Sorry this is the part that didn't get photographed because I got distracted with the friend arriving and the mimosas. I am a pretty good cook, photographer and blogger until my a.d.d sets in at which point the details start slipping through the cracks....shiny objects!!

Spread the scrambled eggs over the ham and sprinkle with cheese.

Next cut horizontal slits in the dough, on the long side of the rectangle. Fold in the strips, over the filling, alternating strips, to form your braid aka. mummy. Pinch the  dough at the short ends to seal in the filling. Beat an egg white and brush over the dough.


Bake in a 375 degree oven for 25-28 minutes.



Here is the actual recipe:

2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent rolls
 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, separated
7 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Unroll each tube of crescent dough, but do not separate rectangles. Place side-by-side on prepared baking sheet with long sides touching; press and seal seams and perforations.

Arrange ham lengthwise down center third of rectangle.

Beat cream cheese and milk in a bowl. Separate one egg, placing egg white aside. Stir egg yolk, remaining eggs, salt, and pepper into cream cheese mixture; fold in red pepper and onion.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; pour egg mixture into skillet and cook until just set, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon eggs over ham; sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.

Cut 1-inch-wide strips towards the center to within 1/2-inch of filling on each long side of dough. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; pinch ends to seal and tuck under.

Beat reserved egg white and brush over dough.

Bake in preheated oven until golden, 25 to 28 minutes.

I honestly loved this recipe!! It is pretty and who doesn't love pretty food, especially when it is paired with a champagne cocktail!! It is tasty, who can go wrong with ham, eggs, cheese and bread? And it is festive!! It is the perfect recipe for entertaining! And honestly it was pretty easy....truly I was scared of the braiding part for no reason...it was really easy. I am sure if I hadn't been drinking and talking and braiding the quality of the braid would have been better, but even throwing in those distractors, overall I was still happy with the appearance! Have an amazing Saturday and cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews