Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Apple Bread in the Slow Cooker #epicfail

So I decided to jump on the food in a jar bandwagon. For months now I have seen the countless cute mason jar recipes on Pinterest, food blogs and in cook books. I never had mason jars or time to experiment with any of these so I just read about the fad and moved on....until this week.


Since I have been home Amazon Prime has become my best friend, so I ordered some mason jars on-line and they were at my front door in about 10 minutes (probably more like 2 days but it felt really fast). The first thing I tried to make was this overnight no cook oatmeal and it was really good. Here is the link if you are interested: No Cook Overnight Oatmeal

This is usually when my plans start to go array, just about the time I get cocky. So I am feeling all confident in my jar cooking ability after the oatmeal and I decide to try Apple Bread in these cute jars...in the slow cooker....sounds easy enough, right?



Now granted my first thought was "hmmm wonder if the bread will stick to the jars," but once I read the recipe and saw that I greased and floured the jars, I moved on from that concern.

I combined my dry ingredients-flour, apple pie spice, salt and baking powder. No problems there.



Next I mixed my wet ingredients-brown sugar, oil, eggs and applesauce. Yup, this is easy.



Combined the wet and dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix like the recipe said. And I stirred in my walnuts.





Yup, this is my kind of recipe. I put the batter into my cute jars and the recipe said to cover with greased foil instead of the lids they came with. Ok, I can do that.



I had a bit of a conundrum (good word huh) trying to figure out if I should stand the jars up or lay them down in the slow cooker, but once I read the recipe again and it said to put the lid on the slow cooker I knew I had to lay them down. I put warm water on the bottom of the crock pot, just like the recipe said.

I turned the crockpot to high and waited for 2 hours....feeling pretty accomplished!

After 2 hours I went to check on the bread, wondering if it was really going to be cooked all the way through...and it appeared to be. I was happy!!

I took my cute jars out of the slow cooker and put them on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes had elapsed I removed the foil and I turned the jars upside down. And I heard the bread rattle in the jars, indicating it was loose from the side....and it stopped...the mouth of the jars were just too small for the bread to pass through.

I had cute jars, cute bread and I had that damn bread stuck in those damn cute jars. I tried the bread, using a fork, and it tasted pretty good, but seriously who wants to eat their bread with a fork? I continued to try and shake the bread for a bit, walked away and returned to shake some more, but lets be honest that bread was stuck. If I decide to tackle this again I guess I will need to find big mouth jars, do they even make those? Until that point I am going to stick with my jar oatmeal or maybe try a jar salad, but this jar bread thing, for me anyway was an epic fail.

Here is the recipe in case you want to tackle it:Slow Cooker Apple Bread

Happy Hump Day and Cheers!!




0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews