Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 28, 2016

Chilaquiles

Let me start by saying, if you are looking for the "World's Best" Chilaquiles recipe, this is not it. However, while I was making these, I had such a fun walk down chilaquiles memory lane I decided to write about them. Do any of you have those "food quests"? Ya know those food memories that haunt you and you spend the rest of your life searching for that same food with the incredible flavor profile, spices, environment, freshness, etc. I have more than my share of food quests and chilaquiles just happen to be one of those.

Actually now that I think about it, I pretty much have a food quest that came out of every country I have traveled to. I am still searching for Guinness Lamb Stew like I had in Ireland, Fava Bean Soup like I had in Sicily, fresh lobster like I had in Bora Bora, fresh Guacamole and Coronas like I had in Cozumel and the list goes on.



The first time I had chilaquiles I was approximately 25 years old. My best friend and I went to Mexico, Puerto Vallarta to be exact, for our last hoorah before she got married. We decided to spend a week laying in the sun, drinking margaritas, flirting with boys, doing random tourist things and well just being girls. It was the ultimate girls trip from the 5 Brazilian boys to the swim up pool bar to the horse back riding to our first discoteca to blistering sunburns, ok maybe not that part. Lets go back to the positive, as we even did all of the kitchy "must do's" while in PV from the whistle blowing shaken head shots to the horseback ride on the beach, hell we even went on a sunset cruise where everyone thought we were lesbians because we got on the "couples" boat accidentally. No there was not a donkey dressed as a zebra, you are now thinking of Tijuana, and that was a different trip.

Anyway, back to chilaquiles, every morning after a night of fiestas, we would stumble down to the outdoor restaurant in our bathing suits, order coffee and chilaquiles. I don't know if it was the best hangover cure food, if it was the pleasure of eating outside overlooking the Pacific ocean or just the best damn chilaquiles I have ever tasted. The sauce was super fresh, a little zesty but not overly spicy, it had an amazing smokey and toasted flavor. I think it was red sauce or maybe I just made that part up.  The chips were crunchy in parts and soggy in others. I remember the melted cheese, the cilantro, the onions and just the happiness of morning comfort food. It was pure heaven! I am actually pretty sure I could hear angels singing as I wrote about them just now.

I have spent the last 15 years looking for those same chilaquiles, throughout different cities in Mexico, countless American Mexican restaurants and a few goes at it in my own kitchen. However, none of the chilaquiles I have encountered since have held a candle to some random hotel in PV and their chilaquiles!!

Back to this particular recipe, it is good, but not the chilaquiles that dreams are made of. I spent a ton of time frying chips and let me just say I was proud of my chip frying as I can be a bit of a frying disaster.


However, by the time they came out of the oven, they were so saturated in sauce, they were soggy. The sauce is tangy, however there isn't any spice and it is just well a little boring. It has potential if you play with it, maybe more salt, some cayenne pepper, more cilantro, etc.  I even took the extra time to roast my own chicken instead of using a Rotisserie chicken and it was good, but nothing to write home about. I did really like the cheese, however seriously I haven't met any cheese that I haven't liked. This would be the perfect recipe if you were making Brunch for a crowd or just needed some easy breakfast comfort food, but I will not be losing sleep over this recipe or searching for its counterpart for the next 15 years.



On a side note, I did try a new method to roast boneless skinless chicken breasts. Put the chicken breasts in a pan that is buttered or oiled. Oil the chicken breasts with a little olive oil or cooking spray, whatever makes you happy. Cover the chicken breasts with Parchment paper that is sprayed with cooking spray and cook for 20-40 minutes, depending on the size of the breasts. The chicken came out moist and juicy and it was super easy. In the past when I have tried to roast boneless skinless chicken breasts they had a tendency to be kind of dry so this did workout well.








Here is the actual recipe:

Ingredients
8 fresh tomatillos, husks removed
1 white onion, coarsely chopped
1 poblano pepper, peeled and seeded
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
3/4 cup chopped cilantro
4 cloves garlic
2 leaves fresh mint (I didn't use the mint)
salt to taste
3 cups shredded cooked chicken
1/4 cup vegetable oil
12 (6 inch) white corn tortillas, cut into 3 strips
3/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).




Blend tomatillos, onion, poblano pepper, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, garlic, mint, and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chicken to tomatillo sauce and continue to simmer until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes more.



Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry tortilla strips in batches until crisp and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.

Layer about half the fried tortillas in a 2-quart baking dish; spread half the tomatillo sauce over tortillas. Mix pepperjack cheese and Monterey Jack cheese in a bowl; sprinkle half over tomatillo sauce. Repeat layers.



Bake in preheated oven until cheese is golden and bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews