Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 7, 2016

Carrot Cake

So after I made enchiladas last week I was feeling kind of cocky about my neck brace cooking prowess and I decided to make Carrot Cake for a dinner party I was attending. Let me start by saying that I truly over estimated my skill set as it relates to culinary skill with a broken neck and a few numb fingers....but I puled it off...with only a few mishaps.



On a side note, in order to get the ingredients for this cooking adventure I decided to try one of those on-line grocery store delivery services. Don't get me wrong I love grocery stores, but this was pretty friggin magical. I go on-line order food, even ordered myself flowers and voila this food wizard shows up at my doors with bags full of groceries. Loved it!! However, the carrot cake recipe I found did call for fromage blanc which I was unable to find with this delivery service and so I just substituted additional cream cheese for the frosting.



So to begin with I mixed the dry ingredients-flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.



I didn't even think about the physical nature of grating carrots and so when I saw the recipe called for 2 cups of grated carrots I didn't think twice. However, as a result of some nerve damage my fingers are numb and so grating carrots turned out to be a little challenging, slightly scary and potentially hazardous (don't worry I did not grate my hand, but I did come close a few times). I am pretty sure I broke into a sweat just by grating carrots and I think I have a carrot grating muscle, truth be told...since it is probably the most exercise I have had in 3 weeks. Ack!! Add the grated carrots to the dry ingredients.

Next combine the sugars and butter in a mixer and combine. Add the eggs to the mixture. Stir in the vanilla.




Alternate the buttermilk and flour into the butter and sugar mixture, combining completely in between additions.



Spread the batter into a greased 9x13 and bake at 350 degrees for 28 minutes. And yes the recipe actually says 28 minutes and the recipe is actually correct, it was actually done after 28 minutes. Random number, ay. Let the cake cool completely on a rack.



While the cake is cooling make the frosting. In a mixer combine the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, salt and powdered sugar and combine. This is the point where I learned another valuable lesson....seeing as I can't look down because of the neck brace...when you fling frosting all over your shirt it is nearly impossible to clean it off yourself. I got lucky and a friend had just happened to stop by as I started to redecorate myself and the kitchen in icing and they were kind enough to assist me with operation cream cheese frosting clean-up.

Once the cake has completely cooled, ice the cake. This is optional, but if you like pecans, I sprinkled chopped pecans over the top and it added a nice flavor and crunch.

So I do have to admit that this was a Cooking Light recipe, however I am pretty much convinced that the only reason this recipe is considered Cooking Light is because it has unrealistic serving sizes. Sure a 9x13 pan is good sized, but the recipe says it makes 20 servings and well, I don't know what kind of cake slices you like to eat, but no matter how I cut a cake there is not 20 servings in a 9x13 pan. Just saying...therefore the calorie count is going to be higher in my serving sizes.

This cake was nice and moist, had good flavor thanks to the cinnamon and I loved the cream cheese frosting, however I haven't met a frosting I didn't care for.






Here is the actual recipe:
Ingredients

CAKE:
10.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrot
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
Cooking spray
FROSTING:
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 ounce fromage blanc
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare cake, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, ground cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add 2 cups grated carrot, tossing to combine.
3. Place granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 6 tablespoons butter in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Spread batter into a 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
4. To prepare frosting, place softened cream cheese and next 4 ingredients (through 1/8 teaspoon salt) in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at medium speed until combined (don't overbeat). Spread frosting evenly over top of cake. Sprinkle evenly with toasted pecans.

I am not sure what cooking endeavor I am going to try and take on this week, but so far I made overnight oatmeal which was super easy....and I may try and make apple bread in the crockpot...but we shall see. Celebrate life my friends and cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews