Powered by Blogger.
Friday, January 10, 2020

Ben's Molasses Sugar Cookies & My KitchenAid Love Affair


Some people bake for a special occasion, or because they are happy, or sad. I bake because it is a Friday night and it is a Full Moon and I know better than to go outside with all of those crazy MF'ers. Therefore, I opted to stay home, pour myself a glass of wine, turn on some jazz music, and bake my little heart out.



I also wanted to bake because I recently read an article about KitchenAid, ya know only the mixers we all have in our kitchen, that we all  have a crazy f'ing obsession about. Well did you know....

  • The original KitchenAid mixer came out in 1919. I am pretty sure that means that a T-rex and it's tiny little arms used a KitchenAid to make cupcakes at some point.
  • It also weighted 65 pounds back in the day. Which is crazy to think about because they are still insanely heavy and if I would have thought of this earlier, while I was baking cookies, I could have bench pressed my mixer while waiting for the cookies to come out of the oven.
  • They also were $189.50, which is honesty close to what we pay now, but back in 1919 that was the equivalent to $2500. That is a really expensive mixer!
  • The original name was Model H-5, thankfully they recognized that the name needed an upgrade, because let's be real the Model H-5 sounds like a new strain of the bird flu. Totally not a sexy name!!
  • Julia Child's KitchenAid mixer is at the Smithsonian. I am pretty sure mine will be there someday.
  • Before 1955 the KitchenAid was only available in white, but now there are 84 color options and it has lost 40 lbs. However, my KitchenAid is still white, guess I am a traditionalist.
  • The KitchenAid was originally sold door to door, can you even imagine lugging around a 65lb mixer to try and sell? Those KitchenAid salesmen were probably ripped and hot AF. Let's bring them back!!
Ok, back to my cookies!! 
Tonight I made Ben's Favorite Molasses Sugar Cookies from The Bake Sale Cookies. I am sure you have two questions for me.

1. Why did I choose this recipe? Well, folks that was easy as I had all of the ingredients and I didn't have to go to the store.

2. Who is Ben? I have no idea, but I am a little creeped out that he knew what was in my cupboards. So, Ben may be a stalker or he could have been one of those strangers I met on a plane. Hmmmm...joking. Ben is the authors 4 year old son who I guess like molasses cookies....which is kind of impressive as they have a bit of spice to them.




Ingredients:

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus additional for rolling
1 egg, at room temperature
1/4 cup molasses
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a mixer (obviously KitchenAid and don't worry they didn't pay me for this blog) and mix until smooth. Scrape down the side of the bowl, add the egg, molasses, and vanilla, beating well and scraping down the sides, until light and fluffy.
Side note-did you know it is best to bake with a room temperature egg because it mixes better with the batter and helps it rise? Thank you Google!

Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and salt and mix until incorporated.

Quick funny story-after making Tofu Saag the other night I went to get my hair done and I walked into the salon and my hair stylist said,"hmmmm it smells like curry." We realized about 30 min later that yup you guessed it I was the one that smelled like curry. Sexy AF!! I know!! 

Now, to form the cooking, roll into 1 inch balls and roll into sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet or line with parchment paper. 

Bake for 8-12 minutes. For crisper cooking, cool on the cookie sheet. For softer cooking, cool 2 minutes and then move to a rack. Cool the cookie sheet between batches.


I love my cookies soft and chewy so I baked them for 11 minutes, cooled them for 2 minutes and put them on the rack. And they were perfect!! I loved the spices in these cookies and they are chewy and just yummy comfort food! 

Stay safe everyone with this Wolf Moon (I think that is what it is called or maybe I made that up)! Cheers!












0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews