Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year New Me....Not!! Slow Cooker Chicken Chili


In my humble opinion the new year, new me thing is straight up bullshit. Um why do you want to be a new you? Sure a new year is symbolic, but in reality it is just another day. And each day is an opportunity to start again with gratitude. But really now….a new you? I woke up this morning, just like every morning, and I wasn’t taller, I didn’t have six pack abs, and I was still a smart ass. I am confident that when the clock hit midnight and I did my champagne toast last night even if I had declared 2020 to be the year of a new me, I still wouldn’t have been taller or had 6 pack abs when I woke up.  Pretty sure it’s a new year and same ‘ol me, which is fucking amazing!

Our society has jumped on this “change” bandwagon to such an extent that we are just never content with where we are in this moment, who we are, what we look like, or what we are doing. Don’t get me wrong I love the self-help movement just like the next person, but this year I have decided to do things differently and just be happy and content with where I am. And I can pretty much guarantee that change is going to occur whether I want it to or not….so ride the waves and enjoy that ride…and don’t worry you can consistently count on me being a smart ass.

And because this is a food blog after all, although I am sure some of you forgot that this is how and why I started writing, here is a Slow Cooker Chicken Chile recipe….





Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Active Time
20 Mins
Total Time
8 Hours 20 Mins
Yield Serves 8

Ingredients
3 (15-oz.) cans unsalted cannellini beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
 1 (25-oz.) can hominy, rinsed and drained
 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson) 
2 cups peeled cubed butternut squash 
1 cup chopped yellow onion 
2 tablespoons ground cumin 
1 tablespoon chili powder 
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, chopped 
2 oregano sprigs
 1 (5-oz.) can diced green chiles, drained and divided
 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs 
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt 
6 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, divided 
2 ounces preshredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
 1/4 cup chopped green onions 
1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
 Lime wedges

Step 1
Process 1 can beans in a mini food processor until smooth. Place bean puree, remaining 2 cans beans, hominy, and next 8 ingredients (through oregano) in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Reserve 1 tablespoon green chiles. Add remaining green chiles to cooker. Top with chicken thighs. Cover and cook on LOW 8 hours.

Step 2
Place chicken on a cutting board; cool 5 minutes. Shred chicken; stir into chili. Cover and keep warm.

Step 3
Process reserved 1 tablespoon green chiles, yogurt, and 2 tablespoons cilantro in a mini food processor until smooth.

Step 4
Place 1 1/2 cups chili in each of 8 bowls; top evenly with yogurt mixture, remaining cilantro, cheese, green onions, and jalapeño. Serve with lime wedges.


Am I the only person that has seen chili, chilli and chile and wondered which was spelled correctly and/or what the difference was between all three?

Well let me tell you what I found, chile is the Spanish spelling and pronunciation. Chili is the more common and general used term. There is also the belief that chile with an “e” is referencing the pepper and chili with the “I” is referring to the soup type Tex-Mex dish that I just made. Unless you are in the Southwest and chile is a condiment made from peppers.

But wait there is more. Chile powder, spelled with the “e”, is pure ground dried chile peppers and has no additives. However, if you purchase chili powder spelled with the “I” it can be a blend of spices, including cumin, peppercorn, oregano, and salt. So read those labels carefully.

Now  there is also chilli with 2 “l’s” and that is the spelling most commonly used in Britain, Australia, Singapore, India and South Africa. And just to make this debate clear as mud, you may also find the spelling in other parts of the world to be chilly (not just used when cold), chilie and chillie.

Guess the rule of thumb should just be ask before you put anything in your mouth. And realistically that should be a rule we live by in every aspect of our lives….get your mind out of the gutter.
Happy New Year and Cheers! Raise a glass to the new decade and the same you because as Mr. Rogers said,”…there’s no person in the whole world like you, and I like you just the way you are.”

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews