Powered by Blogger.
Friday, August 5, 2022

The Highs & Lows of Working Virtually


 I started in the virtual workspace well before Covid hit. So, honestly my life didn't change a whole lot when we were shut down for the pandemic, at least professionally. My personal life, well, that is a totally different story.

However, I kind of would like to think of myself as kind of a pro when it comes to the virtual work thing. And I have found some really high highs and some really low lows that I would like to share with y'all.

This is what I have found:

1. I get to wear yoga pants to work, or hell no pants if I really want to. I can avoid "hard pants" most of the time. Side note, hard pants are jeans or anything other than yoga pants and they are torturous. In general, I am anti-pants, however there is a time and place for pants, just prefer soft pants when those times arise.

2. I don't have a commute. I can literally stumble from my bedroom to the office and turn on my computer. There are truly days when I don't go outside, this can be considered a plus or a minus depending on how you look at it. But I really do not miss traffic - the endless sitting on freeways watching the people in the car next to you stare back at you. Nope, don't miss that for a sec.

3. If I have RBF (Resting Bitch Face), which I have fairly often, or I am just grumpy AF, I can just turn off my camera. I am actually legendary for my video RBF. And damn technology if my camera isn't working uh oh!

4. Nobody knows I am short. I met one of my Project Managers in person for the first time a few months ago and he said to me,"wow you look so much taller on camera." That is honestly the most creative way anyone has ever told me I am short, and well I am pretty stoked I look tall on camera.

5. When the internet goes down, a ransomware attack happens to your company, or you lose power, those are all the equivalent of a virtual workplace "snow day," and they happen way more often than actual white stuff falling from the sky, especially here in California. Magical!

6. I don't have to deal with moody co-workers. In the virtual work environment, moody co-workers just require you to re-schedule meetings. You never have to stress about the co-worker who is too spunky in the morning or the one who always wakes up on the wrong side of the bed because they are both doing those irritating things in the privacy of their own homes. My co-worker is white, fluffy and has four legs (she is a cat in case you needed clarification), and you just toss her off the chair if she is too spunky or grumpy.

7. My Amazon packages never have to feel abandoned on my porch. I am home and I am waiting for you all day, regardless of how many times UPS changes the delivery time, I will be there for you.

8. Covid weight is irrelevant unless you are one of those rare people who carry all of your weight in your shoulders. My ass expanded during Covid and due to cameras that only show the top half of my body and the above listed yoga pants, and well breaking up with my scale, nobody is any wiser.

9. You can change offices as many times as you want. I can literally work from my real office or I can sit at the dining room table or have couch coffee talks for a more intimate setting. Hell, I can even work remote remote and take my office to a hotel, coffee shop, on the road, or anywhere a hot spot can find you. It is actually pretty damn cool that you can literally work from anywhere.

10. You never have to worry about packing a lunch because said lunch is sitting in your fridge. And thanks to Instacart or DoorDash if said lunch is not in the fridge you have other options. Another lunch plus, you never have to worry about the klepto co-worker who likes to rifle through others lunches in search of snacks for themselves. Or the random office science projects found in break room fridges for that matter. The science projects are your doing and well I have never had anyone break into my house for my leftover pizza.

There are definitely other pluses and minuses, but these are my top ten for the moment. What do you all love or hate about working remote?



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews