Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Karma Kick Back

When I was a kid my Mom use to tell me that I needed to be nice to people because I wanted good karma.  So to all of you that I am nice to its not because I like you its because I don't want bad karma...haha I am joking I am really a nice person. She also use to tell me when something bad happened that it was bad karma and I even remember we use to say the phrase "karma kickback," when something bad occurred. Yes, I know I totally sound like a hippie child, right? Hey I did grow up in Humboldt County so some of that stuff had to stick.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with karma it is common in Eastern religions and New Age Theology. It is basically the belief that what goes around comes around and it is often referred to as the "law of return." It has also become popular in pop-culture for example:

I know by this time you are thinking, well Danah that is great thanks for sharing about your childhood and karma, but what does this have to do with cooking, right? Well today I made Mushroom and Spinach Korma, however when I first read the recipe I thought it said Mushroom and Spinach Karma and so I thought "damn I need to make this for my Mom and I can't wait to call and tease her about it." It wasn't until after I bought the ingredients that I realized "well hell this is korma not karma," so I had to make it anyway.



Korma is actually an Asian dish that is usually a curry dish with coconut milk. This is a vegetarian version  from Food Network with no curry but it has does have some authentic spices like coriander and it has coconut milk which is traditional. My Mom would be thrilled as its vegetarian, which she is, and it has protein in the form of garbanzo beans. Talk about a win/win. This dish actually has a lot of flavor due to the ginger, cumin and coriander. And because of the texture of the mushrooms and the hardiness of the rice it really is a great complete meal. I honestly don't think I will make it again, but it was a healthy meal and better than I expected. So for my vegan and vegetarian readers out there this is for you...yes, I am hoping that by posting a recipe for my varied readers I will get good karma.


Ingredients

Directions

Cook the rice as the label directs. Meanwhile, combine the chopped onion, ginger, tomato, cumin, coriander, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 cup water in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 more minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer the vegetables to a plate. 
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in the same pan; add the tomato mixture and cook, stirring, until very thick, about 6 minutes. Return the mushroom mixture to the pan. Add 1 1/2 cups water, bring to a simmer and cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in the spinach and chickpeas and cook 2 more minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, season with salt and top with cilantro. Serve with the rice.


The recipe is very easy to make and I love the way the sauce smells. If anyone has any tips for how to use ginger please send them my way. It seems like every time I use ginger I start with a big 'ol piece and by the time I get done peeling the skin away its a little nub....hmmm. So when I buy ginger for a recipe I always buy extra because I just know how I operate...yes we can call that adapting and
compensating.

Hope you all are having a wonderful week so far. Let me leave you with one of my favorite cooking quotes, "Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all." -Harriet Van Horne





0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews