Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, June 9, 2012

Hi Honey I'm Home

So I am trying to get back in my routine after going on a fabulous vacation. The trip was seriously like stepping into someone else's life for 4 days and everything about it was amazing. However, Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz said it best when she said "there is no place like home."

Did I also mention that as a child I went through a phase where I made everyone called me Dorothy? However, just for clarification I was not one of those creepy little bitches that we see on that show Toddlers and Tiaras...where they are 100% diva and out of control! I just had a vivid imagination, a strong sense of self and I enjoyed trying on different roles for a period of time. Confession alert: yes, I do watch that show and I know its horrible and I know there is really no justification for it but its like watching a car crash...you just can't look away.




Now if you have plans to go to Vegas anytime soon I very much recommend Todd English's restaurant-Olives. Its in the Bellagio and the food is amazing, the atmosphere is gorgeous and the wine was exceptional. If at all possible I highly recommend sitting on the patio as it overlooks the fountain show and its a spectacle to watch the fountain show while you enjoy incredible food. I had sea scallops with arancini in a short rib ragu with brussel sprouts and everything was cooked perfectly.

One of the specials was a rainbow trout with a fried egg and fingerling potatoes...also fantastic!



If you haven't heard of Todd English he is an amazing Chef, author and is often a guest on Top Chef. He has restaurants throughout the country and Olives was his first restaurant, the original is in Boston. He is divorced, has 3 children, is a Virgo and enjoys long walks on the beach (ok, I made up this last part but he really is a Virgo).


And I have to say that I was pretty excited to get back into my routine. I had a few options tonight and although I had plans to go out I decided that what my heart needed was a quiet night at home so I could cook, write my blog and enjoy some quiet time with my kitty....and it has been perfect.



I decided to make a Rachael Ray recipe for a spring soup-Pea & Carrot Soup with Rice. It is very flavorful, hearty and fresh. However, I do have to say it has a strong garlic flavor to it, which is a little odd since there are only 2 cloves but just beware and don't plan on making this recipe for a romantic dinner in, first date or for anyone that you want to be close to. This is the perfect recipe to make if you have a fear of vampires, want a quiet night alone or you have a giant dining room so no one has to sit close to each other.

And yes as I do with all of my recipes I do have to tell you what I changed because although I love following recipes there is still always that part of me that has to just tweak it a bit and make it mine. So on this recipe I left out the mint and I did this because I couldn't find it at the store. But even before that I was debating on the mint just because I thought it might be a bit over powering however it became a non-issue when I couldn't purchase it.



Ingredients

  • tablespoons butter
  • 1/3 cup orzo
  • cup white rice
  • cups chicken stock
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. EVOO
  • carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
  • leeks--halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise and thoroughly rinsed
  • Salt and pepper
  • cups fresh or thawed frozen organic peas
  • cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
  • tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
  • large or 2 small cloves garlic, halved

Directions

  1. In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the orzo and toast until deep golden and fragrant. Stir in the rice, add about 2 cups chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally and adding a bit more stock if the rice begins to stick, until the rice is just tender, about 18 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat 2 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and leeks; season with salt ad pepper. Cook stirring, until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the remaining stock and the fresh peas (if using frozen, stir in just before serving). Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
  3. Using a food processor mix the parsley, mint, cheese, pine nuts, garlic and about 1/4 cup EVOO into a pesto. Stream in more EVOO iuf needed. Stir the pesto into the rice pilaf.
  4. Serve 1/2 cup of the prepared rice in each of 4 soup bowls. Top with the peas and carrots in broth. Stir to combine.



I also have to share my favorite technique for cleaning leeks and I don't remember where I learned this from...so I apologize now as there is someone out there who deserves credit for teaching me this, but I don't know who you are. Leeks tend to be really gritty and require a great deal of wishing so you don't have sand mouth when eating them. So cut the leeks however you want them-chop, dice, slice, etc. Then put the leeks in a bowl and add water to the bowl and let the leeks sit for a few minutes. The leeks will float to the top of the bowl and the grit will float to the bottom. Then take the leeks out of the bowl with a slotted spoon and voila grit free leeks-awesome!





3 comments:

  1. I think it is time for you to grow a garden... We have Mint (yerba buena) at home and use it in alot of recipes including albondigas soup. Not only that, the mint is good for discouraging ants from entering your home, or so I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used leeks tonight too (in calzones with spinach). I learned the leek cleaning trick from Rachael Ray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marisela, I can't garden um cause I kill things. Alicia, that totally must be where I learned the leek trick. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews