Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, June 24, 2012

Corn and Shrimp Chowder W/Bacon

So one of my earliest Grandpa memories involved corn. We would travel to New Jersey often times in the summer to go visit my Grandparents. I assume we went in the summer because I was out of school, however I also remember going in the summer before I started school and I am POSITIVE we didn't go in the summer because of the weather. Maybe it was cheaper or maybe it was just a form of torture. Anyway if you haven't been to New Jersey in the summer my only advice is don't. Because although my Grandma now lives on the Jersey Shore...no she doesn't have 6 pack abs and wear wife beater t-shirts...when I was a kid she did not live on the shore. So where my Grandparents lived it was just humid, hot and sticky. Anyway I digress...

Back to Grandpa and corn memories. I remember my Grandpa would always cut corn off the cob for me. And I was thrilled by the novelty. As a kid I always hated how corn on the cob would get stuck in my teeth, it was too big for my mouth and I would always burn my mouth because it was hot. So cutting it off the cob was pure bliss for me as a kid. I remember sitting with my Grandpa while he cut off the cob and he would do it to his corn so I would always ask him to do it for me as well. Little did I know back then it was because of dentures that he did it...hell I just thought it was cool.

 I also remember that after our trips to Jersey I would always ask my Mom to cut the corn off the cob for me like Grandpa did and she would always tell me no. Up until now I just thought she was mean, but after making this corn chowder I totally get it. I had to cut the corn off 6 cobs and OMG I swear half the corn ended up on the floor, I almost cut off my hand because the corn kept sliding off the plate and I had a crap load of corn kernels stuck to the front of my shirt. So Mom I am sorry I thought you were mean you were just down right smart.



This is a great chowder recipe because it's not as loaded down with fat as a lot of the recipes. It does have whole milk but it doesn't have whipping cream or butter like a lot of recipes. It tastes really fresh because the corn is just slightly cooked and the texture of the corn still has that crunch which I love. I did find that I had to add salt because the recipe calls for seafood seasoning and I think the seasoning I bought didn't have salt in it and I like that salty flavor...just my observation. And hell it has bacon so how could I go wrong!!!



Has anyone else noticed that bacon smells delicious when its fresh but the smell of old bacon is just disgusting? For this recipe I had to cook the bacon until it was crispy and holy wow the smoke from the bacon took over my entire house...thankfully the smoke detector did not sound...but I had to turn on the vent fan, open some windows and just get that bacon smoke moving on out...because I do not want to wake up tomorrow to that nasty old bacon smell...just saying.

Anyway this recipe is from Martha Stewart and here it is:


  • 6 ears corn, husks and silks removed
  • 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch strips
  • 8 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
  • 2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1 pound large peeled and deveined shrimp
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • Crackers, for serving (optional)

Directions

  1. Cut off tip of each cob. Stand corn in a wide shallow bowl; using a sharp knife, slice downward to release kernels. Scrape length of each cob with a spoon to release pulp. Discard cobs.
  2. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium-high until crisp and browned, 4 to 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels.
  3. Add scallion whites and potatoes to pan; cook, stirring, until scallions have softened, 1 to 3 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add milk, seafood seasoning, thyme, and 2 cups water.
  4. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add corn, shrimp, and scallion greens. Cook until shrimp are just opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Season chowder with salt and pepper. Serve topped with bacon, with crackers alongside if desired.

Hope everyone had a fabulous weekend! Cheers! And if anyone isn't on Facebook this is the pony I want and fell in love with this weekend.




0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews