Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, January 9, 2013

All I Wanted To Do Today Was Cook...

So I have been out of the kitchen for a few days as I have been unable to walk or stand due to a pretty smooth fall on the streets of Downtown LA while running a half marathon. Believe me I would love to come up with a way better, sexy and torrid story but the truth of the matter is...I just fell while running. And I had two options-lay literally on the street in LA until someone found me or get my ass off the ground and continue running my half marathon...so I opted for #2 and finished with a 2:14. Sure not my best time, but I have to say I am pretty proud of that finish because it showed me just what I am made of...I will never be that girl that just lays there on the street waiting to get ran over by another runner, car, bike cop or transient. Cheers to me!




However, I do have to say that all day today I had kitchen fantasies. Yes, truly kitchen fantasies. And for clarification it was not some sexy 50 Shades of Grey kitchen S&M gig...it was truly I couldn't wait to get my ass back in the kitchen. So the first thing I did when I got off work was to run to the grocery store. The first decision I had to make was sweet or savory and although I had the ingredients to make a berry tart I opted for savory. My first choice was scallops, however the store I stopped at did not have scallops. My second choice was chicken and wild rice soup...hmmm yeah no wild rice. Ok #3 was broccoli cheese soup...some other friggin ingredient was missing. So I ended up with option #4-Steak and Blue Cheese Pizza. But needless to say I was frustrated at the grocery store and I probably looked like a crazy person between googling recipes on my phone, picking up ingredients, putting them down and moving onto other ingredients...would have loved to have a reality TV crew following me tonight.

Anyway when I got home all was right with the world. I stepped into the kitchen, unpacked my groceries, took a deep breath and was just filled with bliss. I will be honest I don't cook a lot of steak for myself...for some reason it is just not something I think of as a dinner for one kind of thing. However, tonight it was perfect!! The recipe was from Cooking Light, which is probably a good thing since I can't work out until the swelling goes down in my knee and it had several of my favorite things-caramelized onions, blue cheese and bread.

I do have to say that I couldn't find mini pizza crusts but since I was on recipe #4 I was bound and determined to walk out of the store with ingredients for something so I opted for pita bread and it worked just great. The recipe had a great contrast of flavors between the blue cheese, the sweet onions, the earthy flavor of the steak and the spice of the horseradish/mayo sauce...seriously yum!!

This recipe was also a lot of fun to make. Saute the onions and mushrooms in cooking spray. Cook them for 3 minutes on the lid on to kind of steam them and then cook them for 5 minutes with the lid off to brown them. This technique worked really well and they were very sweet and tender when they came out of the pan.

Next cook the steak. I love steak that is just seasoned with fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt and this steak came out perfectly. Initially  I was a little concerned as it said to cook the steak for 3 minutes on each side and I was convinced that it wasn't enough time, but sure enough those folks at Cooking Light know what they are talking about and after I let it sit for 5 minutes...yes that was also recommended...it was perfect...medium rare.

Meanwhile I cooked my pita crusts for 3 minutes in the oven. When they came out I schmeared...yes that is a word...the horseradish/mayo mixture on the crust. I love a little spice and this horseradish was awesome!! I actually a little extra just because I thought the flavor was divine!!

Next I added the caramelized onion/mushroom mixture to the top of the horseradish sauce...put my crust in the oven and baked for 2 minutes. I cut the steak into slices and when the pizzas came out of the oven I put my steak slices and blue cheese on top of the onions and cooked for another 2 minutes. When they came out of the oven the blue cheese was starting to melt, the steaks were browned and the onions were golden.


  • Cooking spray
  • 2 cups vertically sliced onion $
  • (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • (8-ounce) boneless sirloin steak, trimmed $
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • (7-inch) refrigerated individual pizza crusts (such as Mama
  • Mary's)
  • 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise $
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 450°.
  2. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cover and cook 3 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt; remove onion mixture from pan.
  3. Sprinkle steak with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add steak to pan; cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes; cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
  4. Place crusts on a baking sheet. Bake at 450° for 3 minutes. Remove crusts from oven.
  5. Combine mayonnaise and horseradish; spread each crust with about 2 teaspoons mayonnaise mixture. Arrange onion mixture evenly over crusts; bake at 450° for 2 minutes. Divide steak and cheese evenly among pizzas; bake an additional 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Cut each pizza in half.


I was a happy camper with my glass of red wine, my knee propped up and The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills on TV...all is right with the world. Cheers my friends!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews