Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Some food just tastes healthy...

I have prided myself for a long time on making the worlds most dense, tough and hardy muffins on the planet. However, I do truly recognize that "Worlds Hardest Muffins," on the side of a bakery just isn't very enticing and hence I have opted not to open a panaderia, bakery or coffee shop as of yet.


Tonight I made Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins and I had some reservations when I selected this recipe because:
  • Whole wheat flour can sometimes change the consistency of baked products and make them too heavy...and since I tend to do this really well on my own I wasn't sure if I needed any help in this area. 
  • This recipe said that if you over mix these muffins they can become really dense...hmmm yet again I do this way too well independently I don't need a recipe with a tendency towards density. 
  • The sweetener for this recipe consisted of honey and a sprinkling of brown sugar. Aren't muffins supposed to be filled with fat and sugar and be like 500 calories per mini muffin bite? Is honey and a bit of brown sugar really going to do it?
  • Blueberries aren't in season so should I even attempt this or should I shelve this recipe for summer? Ok sure with my cookbook collection once this book goes back on the shelf I will never see it again. 
But taking all of these reservations into consideration and after a few glasses of wine I decided to try it anyway. I actually found fresh blueberries at the store and when I tried them low and behold they were sweet. I already had whole wheat flour so I thought it was a sign that these muffins must be made. And I thought this recipe would be a good experiment, to see if I could "under mix" the muffins and make them a little more "fluffy."

The recipe called for the brown sugar and cinnamon to be mixed in a small bowl and used later for the muffin topping. Easy enough to accomplish...done. 

The 2nd step consisted of beating milk, oil, honey and egg product together. The recipe called for skim milk, which I bought especially for this recipe, and in case you were wondering it still tastes like water. I love using oil instead of butter in muffins as I think it helps to make them more moist....but it could totally be psychological. I didn't have any "egg product" so it said I could use 2 egg whites, which I did...and hmm I actually was trying to text and separate an egg at the same time so it also got a little yolk...just being honest here.

In another bowl add the flours (wheat and all purpose), the baking powder and salt. This recipe calls for 3 tsp of baking powder which seemed like kind of a lot for 12 muffins but I followed the directions and it seemed to work just fine. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and don't forget mix just until moistened. This recipe actually described the batter which helped me comprehend this stirring dilemma. It said that the batter will still be lumpy but the mixture should be moist and so that is what I did. 

Add the blueberries and gently fold them in. Because seriously you don't want to get this far into the cautious mixing and then start over stirring the blueberries. Plus take it from someone who knows...if you are too rough with the blueberries they squirt blue juice at you which discolors your muffins...just saying.

Divide the batter amongst the muffin cups and sprinkle with the cinnamon/sugar mixture. I also learned another valuable lesson...remove the muffins immediately from the pan so they don't continue to cook. I have left them in the pan to cool and then they often taste kind of over cooked.


So overall I have to say I am not in love with these muffins. In my opinion they aren't sweet enough, they taste too much like wheat flour and they just don't have enough fat for my taste. But I sure learned some valuable lessons and let me review them to assist:
  1. Batter should be moist and lumpy 
  2. Do not over mix the batter
  3. Fold in the blueberries so they don't squirt juice at you
  4. Take the muffins immediately out of the pan so they don't continue to cook
Sure I will never make these muffins again, but I will remember these lessons and that is exactly what cooking is about. Cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews