Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, January 5, 2013

Love an Excuse to Carb Load


I really am a carb girl. If I could get away with it I would truly eat carbs and carbs only, however that is just not the healthiest of plans. When the Atkins Diet came out I was really hoping for a diet that was carbs only...but alas I am still waiting and I am starting to give up hope at this point. So although I don't really believe in the whole necessity of carb loading before a run I definitely buy into it just because it gives me an excuse to well...carb load. This half marathon that I am running today is a little tricky as it starts at 9pm and so I am not completely sure how to prepare for it.


 


So last night I decided I would "carb load" in preparation for today. I have been holding onto a Food Network recipe for Penne with Vodka Sauce that I have been wanting to try for a long time and I decided last night was the perfect opportunity to bust it out.

Now have you ever wondered why we add vodka to tomato sauce? I have often wondered what the point is. I understand the wine idea because it has flavor, but to me vodka is a pretty flavorless alcohol and since you cook it even the alcohol burns off. I was actually pretty surprised as a lot of people have a lot of different opinions and theories on vodka tomato sauce....so this is what I found:
  • Vodka sauce started in the 1970's in Italy as a marketing gimmick for a vodka distiller. The idea immigrated to the US in the early 1980's and became popular...and it obviously has staying power as we are still cooking it today.
  • There are compounds in tomatoes that are alcohol soluble, which means additional flavors are released when alcohol is added to them. At the time the recipe was created vodka was a cheap alternative to wine and still allowed for some of the flavor compounds to be released. 
  • Since there is red pepper in most vodka tomato sauce recipes, the vodka is known to enhance the pepper flavor and also supposedly keeps the tomato/cream mixture from being too rich. 
I really enjoyed this particular recipe. I love spice and this sauce had a nice hint of spice. The cream definitely cut the acidity of the tomato which is always nice, especially before a run because I shy away from acidic food that could make me feel ill. The sauce was also sweet but not too overpoweringly sweet. Overall, it had a really nice flavor balance and there was something about it that just felt festive. 

The sauce is also very easy to make. Cook your pasta according to the package directions, however reserve a cup of cooking liquid. I have often made the mistake of draining my pasta only to read a little farther in the recipe that they wanted the cooking liquid...so this is my warning to you all...keep your cooking liquid. 

Next saute a shallot in 2T of olive oil. Add the tomatoes, vodka, cooking liquid, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a rapid simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes. Add the cream and cook for 1 more minute. 

Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and then add 1T olive oil, Parmesan cheese and parsley. 


Ingredients

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook as the label directs. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain the pasta. Empty the tomatoes into a bowl and crush with your hands.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the vodka, tomatoes and salt to taste. Return the skillet to medium heat and simmer, stirring often, until thealcohol cooks off, about 7 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and cook until the sauce thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in the parmesan and basil.
Add the pasta to the sauce and toss to combine, adding some of the reserved cooking water to loosen, if needed. Season with salt. Serve topped with more parmesan and basil.

Voila!! This recipe could still be paired with a nice red wine or obviously you could do a fun savory vodka cocktail. Have fun with it and enjoy!! 

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews