Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day to Me!!

So I had two options tonight I could either mope because I am spending Valentine's Day alone or I could do something to celebrate myself and my amazing life. I opted for option B...because seriously whenever I have an excuse to celebrate I am all over it. Tonight I decided to make a romantic dinner for one, light some candles, open a nice bottle of wine and just enjoy my own company. Ok sure the cat is home too, don't worry my cat didn't get a date while I stayed home. That would have been REALLY sad!!


I thought briefly of going out, but the thought of fighting for Valentine's Day reservations, watching couples being all fake and sweet to each other because they have to and just the overall romance of the day truly made my decision to stay home very easy! As many of you know I am just seriously the least romantic person on the face of the Earth so a holiday that basically forces you into being nice, buying flowers, giving candy and telling people that you love them just doesn't sit so well for me. However, I do have to say there were a few people this year that definitely aided in getting me closer to being a believer, but I will save that sappy stuff for another day. 

So tonight I decided to make Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Leeks and Hazelnuts. I had a preconceived notion of whole wheat pasta because my Mom used to make it for me as a kid. And granted that was awhile ago, but I remember it being chewy, gummy, starchy and it kind of made me gag when it hit the back of my throat. However, I know that technology has come along way and I also recognized that the perception of a 5 year old is not something to base all life decisions on...however some of those beliefs I hold near and dear to my heart. 

Anyway I decided to face my whole wheat spaghetti fears tonight and because I am the type of woman who can admit when she is wrong I have to say...whole wheat spaghetti I am sorry, I definitely owe you an apology!! Because tonight I LOVED whole wheat spaghetti!! I actually...sshhh don't tell anyone...actually kind of liked it better than regular spaghetti. I liked the nutty flavor of the whole wheat, the texture is very similar to regular pasta and it smelled amazing!!

So I just cooked the pasta according to the package directions. I did buy organic whole wheat spaghetti because if you are going to be healthy you might as well go all the way, right? Next I thinly sliced 3 leeks and cooked them in 2T of olive oil for approximately 10 minutes. I cooked the leeks in sugar and salt.


When the pasta is done, reserve 1 cup of cooking liquid and drain the pasta. Just a quick tidbit of knowledge, using pasta liquid in the sauce helps to thicken the sauce due to the starch from well cooking the pasta in it. Add the pasta and the pasta water to the leeks. Next add additional sugar, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. 

Finally, add the sliced radicchio and cubed fontina and cook 3-5 minutes or until the cheese melts. Finish the pasta with salt and chopped/toasted hazelnuts. 


I loved this recipe!! It has an amazing complexity of flavors and textures. The wheat taste of the pasta compliments the bite of the radicchio and the cream of the fontina. The texture of the hazelnuts pairs amazingly well with the cream of the cheese and the crunch of the leeks. And the salt and balsamic vinegar just brings the whole dish together! It is truly one of the best dishes I have made in awhile and it just felt special. I don't know what comes first the holiday, the celebration or the meal, but in this particular instance it was the combination of all three that made me feel like I was celebrating LOVE, not the cheesy Hallmark card kind of love, but the love I feel for myself, for those close to me and just for the beauty of the life I am privileged enough to live. Cheers!!

Ingredients

  • Kosher salt
  • 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 large leeks, white and light-green parts only, thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (preferably aged)
  • 1 small head radicchio, halved, cored and thinly sliced
  • 6 ounces creamy Italian cheese, such as fontina or taleggio, cubed
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook as the label directs.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Scatter the leeks in the skillet and season with 1 teaspoon each salt and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.

Drain the pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta and the reserved cooking liquid to the skillet with the leeks. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon sugar and the balsamic vinegar. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the radicchio and cheese. Toss until the cheese melts, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt and top with the hazelnuts.





1 comment:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews