Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I Made Homemade Enchilada Sauce

So last week I randomly started craving enchiladas...sure I could have gone out to a Mexican restaurant and order enchiladas, but that just seemed way too easy. So I found a Cooking Light recipe for Black Bean and Beef Enchiladas and I started dreaming about them on Monday, with the knowledge that I wouldn't get to make them until Sunday...yes that is a lot of enchilada dreaming.


This recipe required me to make my own enchilada sauce. And you can laugh if you want to, but I was so proud of my enchilada sauce and how flavorful and fresh it tasted that I seriously did a little happy dance inside my head. However, just so you all know I do have an external happy dance as well, however I haven't received a lot of positive feedback on it so I don't bust it out very often.

So the enchilada sauce was actually pretty easy once I got over the intimidation. The recipe does call for dried ancho chiles which I couldn't find even after trying two grocery stores. So I used dried California chiles because google said they were an ok substitute. The internet told me they were slightly spicier but they didn't add much heat and I was completely content with the outcome.

Boil the dried chiles in chicken broth and then simmer for 5 minutes. Add 1 corn tortilla that is torn into pieces. This definitely assisted with the texture of the enchilada sauce. Next add the mixture to the blender and well blend. Add cilantro, garlic and green onions and blend some more. Put the entire mixture back into the pan and cook until it is reduced. The sauce had a great flavor-hint of spice, hint of garlic and the freshness from the cilantro. Loved it!!

The beef mixture was extremely easy to make. Saute the beef until brown and then remove from pan. Saute the onions and garlic, adding the spices and tomato paste. Next add the black beans, chicken broth and put the beef back in the pan. Once it has been blended and cooked, add some lime.


On a side note because I am sure you wanted to know the difference between Mexican and Mediterranean oregano I thought I would tell you. Mediterranean oregano, which is the variety we are all familiar with and that we use in Italian food is actually a member of the mint family. It is also known as wild marjoram. It has a robust and herbal flavor that also emits the smell that makes us all reminisce about pizza and lasagna. If you see a bottle of "oregano" at the grocery store this is the variety you are buying. This variety can be used fresh or dry.

However, Mexican oregano is a relative of lemon verbena. It is native to Mexico and Central/South America. It has a flavor that has more hints of anise and citrus. It is the variety that is used in salsas, enchiladas and chili. It can also be used fresh or dry and it will be labeled in grocery stores as "Mexican Oregano," and it is often found in the Hispanic food section rather than the spice aisle. And if you are local I have a ton of it now from this recipe and I will share.


The other highlight of this recipe was learning how to soften corn tortillas. So get this, you boil water in a pan and dip the tortillas in the water for 2-3 seconds so they become maleable, which makes them easier to stuff and roll without cracking and breaking. Very cool technique!!

Ok not all of them were a success...and I am sure it had nothing to do with the wine!


Once the tortillas are stuffed and placed in the pan, pour the enchilada sauce over them and sprinkle with cheese. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and serve with Mexican crema and green onions.


Sauce:

  • 2 dried ancho chiles, stemmed
  • 3 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 (6-inch) corn tortilla, torn into small pieces
  • 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
  • 2 green onions, coarsely chopped

Enchiladas:

  • 8 ounces ground sirloin
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 4 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
  • 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon no-salt-added tomato paste
  • 2/3 cup rinsed and drained organic black beans
  • 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 4 cups water
  • 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, at room temperature
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 1/2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2/3 cup packed)
  • 2 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup packed)
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced and divided
  • 6 tablespoons Mexican crema

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. To prepare sauce, place ancho chiles in a medium saucepan. Add 3 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1 torn tortilla; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour chile mixture into a blender; let stand 10 minutes. Add cilantro, 2 teaspoons garlic, and 2 coarsely chopped green onions to blender; process until smooth. Return mixture to pan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until reduced to 2 cups (about 7 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove sauce from heat.
3. To prepare enchiladas, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Remove beef from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Wipe pan with paper towels. Return pan to medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and next 3 ingredients (through salt); cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in tomato paste; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in drained beef, beans, and 1/2 cup broth; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice.
4. Place 4 cups water in a saucepan over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, dip tortillas in simmering water 2 to 3 seconds each or until softened. Place one tortilla on a flat work surface; spoon 3 tablespoons beef mixture onto 1 end of each tortilla. Roll enchiladas up jelly-roll style. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas and beef mixture. Spread 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange enchiladas, seam-side down, in prepared dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Top with cheeses. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes. Sprinkle with 3 sliced green onions; serve with crema.

I loved this recipe!! The tortillas were soft, the enchilada sauce had really fresh flavors and the meat mixture had a great texture. I loved the combination in the filling of the beef, beans and onions. However, because I analyze everything I cook let me add a few critiques. I would have liked more enchilada sauce. I love my enchiladas a little on the soupy side and especially because I really liked the sauce I would have liked more of it. I love cheese and because this was a Cooking Light recipe it was a little well light on the cheese, but I am sure my figure was happy for the absence of the cheese. The black beans could have been cooked a little more or maybe refried beans would have been a better bet...the beans were just a little hard in my opinion even thought I used canned beans. However, overall the enchiladas were a hit and we devoured the entire pan...so that is always a good sign. This recipe is definitely worth making...just double the sauce recipe.

Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews