Powered by Blogger.
Monday, February 25, 2013

My Mexican Food Kick Continues!!

I have obviously been craving spicy food lately. So my latest food endeavor involved Potato, Chorizo and Green Chile Burritos. I figured I couldn't go wrong with this recipe because I fell in love with potato burritos as a kid in Atlanta, Georgia, I love chorizo and any food that I can wrap in a tortilla and take it wherever I go just sounds wonderful. As many of you already know I have a little ants in my pants and so sitting still just isn't my strength...therefore mobile food is pretty awesome!! Yes, I am one of those irritating people that loves to be on the go and yes I am terrible on road trips, have the energy of a 10 year old and I sometimes forget to sleep. Oopsie!!




What makes this recipe even better is that it is a Cooking Light recipe. Even though I live in Southern California, this is the time of year that I seriously think everyone just doesn't feel so cute. We are all very pasty white from lack of sun, we are just coming off eating a crap load of food for the holidays and it is easy to procrastinate on working out when it is just too cold outside...remember people, cold is relative. I recently was teased by a guy from Michigan when I was complaining about those brrr cold So Cal mornings.

 Or maybe you are coming off a gnarly fall like I am. Because I love to do everything with gusto I took a spill during my last half marathon at mile 10 and sprained my wrist, pulled a few muscles, covered my entire body in road rash and got an infected knee so exercise has been slow and painful at best recently. But don't worry I finished my half...just a little slower than I hoped for.

Anyway I digress...back to the recipe. So the recipe calls for red potatoes that are cut into 1/2" cubes. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. And just in case you are curious about everything food related like I am...the reason you cover potatoes in cold water even when you are planning on cooking them is to allow for even cooking and heat penetration from the outside to the inside.  While I was doing my potato research I also learned that you shouldn't cool your potatoes in cold water because it makes them soggy. Just a little random potato knowledge to pass on.

Make the salsa for the burritos while you are cooking the potatoes. Combine chopped tomato, onion, cilantro and lime juice. I also added some salt because I just never feel like Cooking Light uses enough salt in their recipes...personal opinion.

Next cook the chorizo. For clarification this recipe calls for Mexican chorizo which is the softer, soupier chorizo and not the Spanish chorizo which is harder and cured. Cook the chorizo for about 3 minutes or until it crumbles. Add the onion and poblano and cook until tender. Remove the mixture from the pan.

Once the potatoes are done, pat dry with a paper towel. Cook in the pan that had the chorizo in it, adding 2 teaspoons olive oil. Cook the potatoes for about 8 minutes in the pan or until they are lightly browned. They absorb the flavors from the pan which is also yummy!! Add the chorizo mixture into the potato mixture.

Heat the tortillas and serve with the chorizo mixture and salsa. The recipe also has you brown the entire burrito in a pan, but I had just finished a run and I was starving so I skipped that step and it worked out just fine. I also loved this recipe left over. It was a great recipe overall!! The salsa was fresh and salty, the chorizo was spicy and I loved the texture and starch of the potatoes! The onions and peppers added some nice earthy flavors as well. This recipe was a winner!!


  • 10 ounce red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 1 cup chopped tomato $
  • 2 tablespoons diced white onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 6 ounces Mexican raw chorizo
  • 1 cup chopped white onion
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced poblano chile
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil $
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • (7- to 8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
  • 2 ounces queso fresco, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)

Preparation

  1. Place the red potatoes in a saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Remove the pan from heat, and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain; pat potatoes dry with paper towels.
  2. Combine 1 cup tomato, 2 tablespoons onion, cilantro, and lime juice.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo; cook for 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add 1 cup onion and poblano to pan; cook 2 minutes or until onion is tender and chorizo is done, stirring frequently. Remove the chorizo mixture from pan. Add oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add potatoes; cook for 8 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from heat. Stir in chorizo mixture and salt.
  4. Heat the tortillas according to package directions. Divide the potato mixture evenly among tortillas, and top evenly with salsa and cheese. Roll up each burrito, jelly-roll fashion.
  5. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 burritos to pan, seam side down; cook 1 minute on each side or until browned.


Happy Monday!!

5 comments:

  1. Hey thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We have got a super collection of Mexican dishes. I hope you have stopped by some of the other links to check them out!

    Ps I have just signed up to follow your blog. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or have you already followed? Cheers

    Ps If you would like email reminders of future Food on Fridays, just pop by and comment and include your email - I won't publish it - and the reminder will be by bcc so it will remain private

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, isn't it the truth that cold is all relative. I lived in Southern California for most of my life. Then I moved to Philadelphia. Funny thing is that both places seemed cold when I was there. I realized that I simply never owned warm clothes in California. As the Scandinavians say, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lidi this so made me laugh. Thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  3. These sound great! My Mexican food kick is an ongoing thing - never ends, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry I agree along with my Italian food kick, my sushi food kick, etc....

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews