Powered by Blogger.
Monday, February 4, 2013

The Little Things...

Have you found that sometimes it is the simplest recipes, the littlest things and the slightest gestures that can completely make your day. Tonight I was supposed to make Three Cheese Macaroni, but after a long day of computer training, also known as torture, a spin class, yes another form of torture and a throbbing knee...yet another form of torture...I decided to make a recipe that was easier, faster and required less thought, physical activity and interaction.



Tonight I made Coconut Rice. Let me start by saying I love everything coconut!! The dish can be sweet or savory, but as long as it has some form of coconut in it I am happy. Coconut macaroons make my eyes light up...especially if they are dipped in chocolate. German chocolate cake makes my knees go weak...it is practically eye candy for me. And coconut shrimp...just reminds me of sitting on a tropical beach with a cocktail and gorgeous turquoise blue water. Yes, I know I have quite an imagination.

Brief side note I was definitely one of those kids with a crazy vivid imagination. I had imaginary friends, imaginary pets, imaginary careers and imaginary personalities. There is a picture of me with a stick tied to a post and I truly thought that stick was my horse...duh. I loved the Wizard of Oz and I went through a phase where I went by the name of Dorothy. By the age of 7 I had already opened my own restaurant, built my own house, taught at my own school, flown across the world while I was working as a stewardess (that was before they were called flight attendants), danced Swan Lake and skated in the Olympics with plastic bags over my feet as make shift skates. Yes, yes I had quite the imagination. Thankfully I grew out of that phase because otherwise I would be in a padded room right now instead of writing my blog from the comfort of my own bed.

But ya know in general I have found recently that it is truly the little things for which I am thankful. Too often we get caught up in lamenting over what we don't have and we forget to be thankful for all of life's little blessings. So before I talk about Coconut Rice I just want to mention a few "little things" for which I am thankful:

  • Vanderpump Rules...that show is pure trash and I love it with a good glass of wine!! I don't even miss Jersey Shore anymore thanks to this show. It has it all!! Eye candy, tears, fist fights and dudes who tear off their shirts when they get ready to fight. Love it!!
  • Ice packs! I am icing my knee every night right now so I can run and seriously this was an incredible invention. I think the blue gel is super cool, it is never too cold and it doesn't break and get you all wet. Shout out to ice packs!!
  • Laughter! I love to laugh! I love to make people laugh! I love funny things! I love that awkward time when things are funny and they shouldn't be!! 
  • Flannel sheets...especially when they are pink and purple and have owls on them. One of the benefits of living alone is the fact that no one can say "those sheets are so lame." Ok sure they could potentially ruin my game...but so far so good. They are not too hot and not too cold and they are just down right cozy!!
Back to cooking. So this recipe calls for chopped ginger that is sauteed in butter. I thought this was really strange because I don't think butter is a staple in most Asian inspired dishes....but although it may not be traditional it sure did taste good. But seriously have you ever tasted anything in butter that tasted bad? I sure haven't....just saying.



Next add the rice, coconut milk, water and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed. Let the rice sit for 10 minutes. Fluff, add cilantro and cashews and voila!!

Here is the link to the full recipe if you need more specific directions: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/coconut-rice-recipe/index.html

Super easy recipe, right? And it has some really great flavor! I love the spice that the ginger and cilantro provide. I love the creamy texture of the coconut milk and how it is contrasted with the crunch of the cashews! This is just an all round easy, flavorful side dish and it is just one of those "little things" that just made me happy. Good night and Sweet Dreams!!




1 comment:

  1. This sounds super yummy!! Did you use light coconut milk or go with full fat? I use the full fat version to make ice cream but I think it would be too heavy (and fattening) for rice!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews