Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, May 25, 2013

Culinary School #10-Shellfish

It is hard to believe that I am already on class #10. There are 24 classes so we are very close to being halfway through this fun filled adventure. I don't even want to think of what is next for me as it seems like my life has been an amazing and overwhelming journey. So before I get too melancholy or I start reminiscing with you all let's talk shellfish. 

I have to say this was one of my favorite classes. I love shellfish! I also learned a lot! I was in the ciopino group, but I was pretty obsessed with the paella group.


 I had tried paella before, but I had never seen it made and I was completely intrigued by the giant pan, the process and the food traditions behind it.

So let me share some paella knowledge with you all:

  • Paella is a Spanish dish that originated in Valencia which is on the eastern coast of Spain.
  • The name came from the pan it was cooked in, probably a derivative of the Latin word patella, which means a flat plate on which offerings were made to God.
  • Paella came about in the 19th century. So the stories of the Kings servants mixing all of the leftovers from the banquets together are probably false. The belief is that paella started with the field workers who mixed their food together in the fields and cooked them over an open fire. 
  • The traditional paella has rice, rabbit, chicken and snails, beans and artichokes, however it has morphed and now has several variations. 

In the class we cooked the paella in a large paella pan that came complete with it's own open fire. We cooked it outside since it is an open flame...yes safety first. 


One of the things I found so cool about the paella was that everything is cooked in the pan. You start by cooking the chicken. Then we added the vegetable and Spanish chorizo mixture. 

Next we added the diced tomatoes.


The rice is added next. 


Chicken stock and spices were then added to the pan. Paella is often known for the saffron which enhances the seafood flavor.


The seafood is added as the last step. 


Ok enough about paella. I also learned how to shuck oysters and I actually had a lot of fun doing it. You put the oyster in a towel, and this is in the event your hand slips with the oyster shucking knife, you may be able to save your hand from great bodily injury. Next you take the shucking knife and put it in the hinge of the oyster and start working the edge of the knife back and forth until you feel it give . Yes, you can actually feel it (and yes I know this sounds sexual but I am deciding to just not go there). You then use the knife and turn it vertically to open the oyster...voila! And yes the whole time I was shucking oysters I was looking for pearls, but I got nothing. This is my first oyster:


I also learned a few valuable tidbits about shellfish and I guess fish in general that I wanted to share:

  • If oysters or clams sound hollow when you hit them together they are old and you probably don't want to eat them.
  • Do not wash oysters as it diminishes their flavor. You want that saltwater taste to them.
  • Clams have two vales (hinges) so if you are opening them you are going to have to cut them meat away in two places so they aren't still attached to the shells. Oysters have one valve. 
  • Do not buy fish on Monday because it comes into the stores on Fridays and therefore it is already old even before you get it home. 
I also learned about a new herb. This is lemon balm and it is often used in beurre blanc sauce and yes it does actually smell like lemon and it has a slightly citrusy taste:


Now let me show you some of our other food creations from the night. We made Oysters Rockefeller which are seriously one of my favorite foods on the planet:


There was also Fresh Stuffed Calamari:

Uncooked Calamari
Cooked Calamari


We also made Grilled Jumbo Prawns and Scallops with a Dried Mango Basil Sauce. This sauce was incredible:


We do not have class this next Monday due to Memorial Day Weekend, however the class is going on a field trip on Thursday so stand by for that one. The week after we do have pastry class....and holy hell I have to deal with puff pastry again. I am seriously starting to believe that puff pastry will just not go away and I really wish it would. It is kind of like those relationships that just never seem to end even though you are totally done and you keep telling them it's over but they seem to always be there....wait it sounds like I know way too much about this topic doesn't it. Haha

Have an incredible Memorial Day Weekend and I can't wait to hear about the amazing food you cooked and/or consumed. Cheers my friends!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews