Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, May 4, 2013

Overcoming My Fear of Rhubarb

Let me just say it is very strange to cook something that you just don't know what it should taste like. This morning I decided to make Cooking Light's Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp and since I had no rhubarb experience I didn't know what it should look like, taste like, cook like, etc. I may have had it as a small child, but I do not have particularly fond memories of it so it definitely wasn't a staple or something that left a lasting impression on my young culinary mind.



The whole time I was cutting it I was thinking to myself,"isn't part of the rhubarb poisonous?" I had stored some random rhubarb memory in the back of my mind that said hmmm rhubarb can kill you, but I wasn't sure what part of it it was. I did google it and never fear it is the leaves, which I did not include in my crisp. So for all of you who tasted it you ought not die. And if you do die I am at least not responsible. Phew!

I had also thought that rhubarb was red and when I cut into it, it was whitish green in color, which scared me a bit, but I just went with it. I also had heard that rhubarb is very soft in texture and when I was cutting it my rhubarb was not soft and so I was slightly concerned that I selected unripe rhubarb at the store. However, again thanks to google I learned that rhubarb becomes soft in the cooking process. Phew another disaster averted.

This Rhubarb Strawberry Crisp is the perfect light Spring dessert. It is sweet and tangy and with fresh strawberries it is truly decadent. Sure I do have to say that living in Ventura County has it's perks and strawberries are one of them as they are grown throughout this area. Right now they are so sweet and juicy that I have pretty much become a strawberry addict.

Oh yeah back to the recipe. So chop 6 cups of rhubarb into slices, added 2 1/2 cup halved strawberries and then add cornstarch, sugar, orange ring and cinnamon. Yum!!


Place in a 9x13 pan that is greased. Next make the crisp part which consists of flour, brown sugar, oats and cinnamon. Cut in 6T of cold butter with a pastry blender and spread over the strawberry/rhubarb mixture. Bake for 30 minutes and voila!! Instant heaven!!


Filling:
6 cups (1/2-inch) slices rhubarb (about 2 pounds)
2 1/2 cups halved strawberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cooking spray
Topping:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup regular oats
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of salt
6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. To prepare filling, combine the first 6 ingredients. Spoon into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
3. To prepare topping, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping over filling. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes.


Ok let me be honest this was actually my breakfast and it was amazing!! Loved the oats and sugar on the top and I loved the sweetness of the strawberry contrasted with the tang of the rhubarb. All and all I have to say that this recipe made me a rhubarb believer and I will definitely make it again.

And special thank to Quay Po Cooks for taking my finished photos...you are amazing!!


So excited to be going to the Kings Playoff game tonight. Cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews